I grew up eating lot of middle eastern/mediterranean inspired dishes thanks to my parents who traveled quite a bit to those parts of the world – my dad mostly for business and my mama for pleasure. Anything with eggplant, chickpeas, cumin, flatbreads, and kebabs is my kind of food. Thank God I married a guy (coincidently) who grew up in the middle east and has the same taste buds as I do! So, it’s just fitting that kebabs in any form is kinda of a must in our house. Especially SKINNY ones.
The marinade is so so tangy and tenderizing and really sticks to the chicken. It has some mediterranean flavors: cumin, yogurt, and garlic. All combined with some chili powder, onion, olive oil, and salt. I found that marinating the chicken for about 2 hours was enough to flavor and tenderize the meat but you can go up to overnight. These are grilled for about 10 minutes and that’s pretty much it!
Serve these with any type of veggies or just a green salad for leaner type of meal or you can add your favorite starch (rice, quinoa, pasta, etc.). They reheat really well, even though I doubt you’ll have any leftovers but either way, you can pack these for lunch, shred the chicken for salad or use leftovers to make gyros (yum ← another of my favorites that I’m hoping to share soon!).
Plus did I mention these are SKINNY!?!?!? As in low in calorie, healthy, good for you food…I used this calorie calculator and at around 120 calories/per serving (serving 6) or around 180 calories (serving 4) these babies deserve the skinny title.
- 7 oz. plain Greek yogurt (I used Fage total)
- 3 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- fresh ground black pepper
- minced parsley, garnish (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with garlic, chili powder, cumin, onion, olive oil, sea salt, and fresh ground black pepper, to taste. Add the chicken and stir to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the grill on high. Thread the pieces of chicken onto the skewers and grill, turning frequently, until chicken juices run clear, about 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with minced parsley (optional) and serve immediately.
**add additional 30+ minutes for chicken to marinate