Bright and flavorful jalapeño rice with garlic, cilantro, and green onions. It is the perfect side to pair with your favorite summer foods.
What is Jalapeno Rice?
Jalapeno rice recipe makes such a wonderful side dish for chicken, shrimp, or just about anything that requires a flavorful rice dish. It also serves great as a base for taco bowl, spring roll bowl, or burrito bowls topped with our creamy shredded chicken.
It comes together pretty easily on the stovetop in one pot. So you can make a double batch of this cilantro rice to enjoy all week long.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make the jalapeno lime rice:
- Jalapeño: Jalapeño is going to add flavor and little heat to the rice. I recommend using fresh jalapeño and not canned.
- Garlic: For best flavor, use fresh minced garlic.
- Rice: Long-grain white rice, such as basmati or jasmine. It’s more aromatic than plain white rice.
- Chicken broth: For more flavor, use chicken broth for cooking the rice. Homemade or store-bought.
- Cilantro: Use a combination of fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems.
- Green onions: Use the green parts of the green onion for this recipe. White parts are great for cooking.
- Lime zest: Fresh lime zest is going to infuse the rice with a mild lime flavor.
You’ll also need a few pantry staples such as olive oil or avocado oil and kosher salt.
How to Make Jalapeno Rice
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add jalapeño pepper and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add the rice (no need to rinse it!) and stir to coat with olive oil. Cook, stirring frequently until the rice has started to brown, about 3-4 minutes.
Add chicken broth and salt. Bring to a simmer, then cover and lower the heat to low to maintain a very low simmer. Cook undisturbed for 15-20 minutes or until all of the broth is absorbed and rice is tender.
Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in cilantro, green onions, and lime zest.
How to Serve
Jalapeno rice is a versatile side dish for many Mexican and Asian-inspired entrées. Here are some favorites:
Leftover Cilantro? Snip off the bottom of the cilantro stems and store in a jar filled with water. Cover loosely with a plastic bag and store in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 weeks, changing the water every several days.
More Rice Side Dishes
Love rice side dishes? Here are a few favorites to try:
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Mexican
Bright and flavorful jalapeno rice with garlic, cilantro, and green onions. It is the perfect side to pair with your favorite summer main dishes.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups white jasmine or basmati rice
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tsp. lime zest, from about 1 lime
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add jalapeno and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add rice and stir to coat with olive oil. Cook, stirring frequently until the rice is toasted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and salt. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all of the broth is absorbed.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the rice steam for 5 minutes, covered. Fluff with a fork.
- Stir in cilantro, green onions, and lime zest. Taste for salt before serving.
- Leftovers: Store leftover rice in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 237.9 mg
- Fat: 5.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.3 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: cilantro rice, summer side dish, cilantro lime rice
Super good recipe here!!! Thank you so much for posting this!!! I’ve seriously made this 3 times already… over the past 3 weeks! The entire family (extended family included) absolutely loves it! Keep up the good recipes as I’m waiting for more haha 😊
Two jalapeños , no seeds. Little bit more olive oil
I’ve made this over and over again. The best and most satisfying cilantro rice!!