Bright and flavorful cilantro rice with jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, and green onions. It is the perfect side to pair with your favorite summer foods.
Fresh cilantro rice recipe makes such a wonderful side dish for chicken, shrimp, or just about anything that requires a flavorful side. It also serves great as a base for taco bowl, spring roll bowl, or a burrito paired with our creamy shredded chicken.
It comes together pretty easily on the stovetop in one pot. So you can make a double-batch of this cilantro rice to enjoy all week long.
Ingredients for Cilantro Rice
You’ll need the following ingredients to make cilantro rice recipe:
- Jalapeño: Jalapeño is going to add flavor and little heat to the rice. I recommend using fresh jalapeño and not canned.
- Garlic: For best flavor, use fresh minced garlic.
- Rice: Long-grain white rice, such as basmati or jasmine. It’s more aromatic than plain white rice.
- Chicken broth: For more flavor, use chicken broth for cooking the rice. Homemade or store-bought.
- Cilantro: Use a combination of fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems.
- Green onions: Use the green parts of the green onion for this recipe. White parts are great for cooking.
- Lime zest: Fresh lime zest is going to infuse the rice with a mild lime flavor.
You’ll also need a few pantry staples such as olive oil or avocado oil and kosher salt.
How to Make Cilantro Rice
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add jalapeño pepper and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Stir in the dry rice (no need to rinse it!) and stir to coat with olive oil. Cook, stirring frequently until the rice has started to brown, about 3-4 minutes.
Add chicken broth and salt. Bring to a simmer, then cover and lower the heat to low to maintain a very low simmer. Cook undisturbed for 15-20 minutes or until all of the broth is absorbed.
Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in cilantro, green onions, and lime zest.
What Goes with Cilantro Rice?
Cilantro rice is a versatile side dish for many Mexican and Asian inspired entrées. Here are some serving suggestions:
More Rice Side Dishes to Try
Love rice side dishes? Here are a few favorites to try:
Leftover cilantro? Snip off the bottom of the cilantro stems and store in a jar filled with water. Cover loosely with a plastic bag and store in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 weeks, changing the water every several days.Print
Bright and flavorful cilantro rice with jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, and green onions. It is the perfect side to pair with your favorite summer main dishes.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups white jasmine or basmati rice
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tsp. lime zest, from about 1 lime
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add jalapeno and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add rice and stir to coat with olive oil. Cook, stirring frequently until the rice is toasted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and salt. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all of the broth is absorbed.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the rice steam for 5 minutes, covered. Fluff with a fork.
- Stir in cilantro, green onions, and lime zest. Taste for salt before serving.
- Leftovers: Store leftover rice in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Keywords: cilantro rice, summer side dish, cilantro lime rice