This lemon garlic cream sauce recipe comes together with only 8-ingredients! It’s delicious with pasta or as a base for many other dishes.
Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
Lemony garlic cream sauce with half and half, fresh lemon, garlic, parmesan, and parsley could not be any easier to make. This sauce is a twist on our Garlic Cream Sauce Recipe.
It comes together in a cinch and tastes so creamy and fresh! You’ll love it tossed with any pasta of choice but it’s also a great sauce for salmon, shrimp, or chicken.
Few Tips & Tricks
- For ultra-smooth sauce, I highly recommend using a microplane for the garlic.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese instead of shredded, as grated incorporates better into the cream mixture. Use a microplane to grate the cheese or a box-grater.
- Keep an eye on the temperature while cooking and stir frequently so that the garlic and butter-flour mixture doesn’t burn.
- Finished sauce will thicken quickly upon standing so it is best enjoyed immediately. You can thin out the sauce with little white wine, reserved pasta water, milk, or half and half.
Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce Ingredients
- All-purpose flour
- Half and half
- Lemon juice and zest
- Parmesan cheese
Can I Use Milk?
You can use 2% or whole milk. Keep in mind though, that the higher the fat content, the richer the sauce will be.
How to Make Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
Melt butter in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
Stir in flour and cook for about 1 minute or until lightly golden, while stirring constantly. It will look like a paste. Make sure not to burn the flour.
Gradually pour in the half and half, stirring as you pour. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to a medium-low and cook until the sauce thickens about 1-2 minutes. If any lumps form, just whisk them out. Properly thickened sauce should coat the back of your spoon.
Whisk in lemon juice and zest. Stir in Parmesan cheese and parsley. The cheese should immediately melt into the sauce. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Lemon garlic cream sauce recipe is very versatile and can be served with pasta or as a base for many other dishes, such as:
Video: How to Make Lemon Garlic Cream SaucePrint
Lemon garlic cream sauce recipe comes together with only 8-ingredients! It’s delicious with pasta or as a base for many other dishes.
- In a 12-inch non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant, while stirring constantly.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute or until lightly golden, stirring constantly. You want to cook off the raw flour taste. Make sure not to burn it.
- Gradually add in the half and half, stirring as you pour. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the sauce thickens about 1-2 minutes. If any lumps form, whisk them out. The sauce should easily coat the back of a spoon.
- Whisk in lemon juice and zest. Stir in Parmesan cheese and parsley. The cheese should immediately melt into the sauce. Serve immediately.
- For a Smoother Sauce: Use a microplane for the garlic and for the Parmesan cheese. Grate the Parmesan yourself, it will taste and melt into the sauce better than the bagged cheese.
- Serving: This recipe makes 2 cups of sauce, which is enough for 8 ounces of dry pasta. Or use the sauce as a base for other dishes. See post for serving ideas.
- Leftovers: This sauce will thicken upon standing. You can thin out the sauce with white wine, reserved pasta water, milk, or half and half. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container for up 5 days.
Keywords: cream sauce, easy, pasta sauce