Cheesy balsamic grilled chicken topped with pesto, tomato, avocado, and balsamic glaze. This easy, sustainable, summer meal comes together in under 30 minutes!
Balsamic Caprese Chicken
In my opinion, nothing says summer entertaining like a balsamic grilled chicken topped with caprese salad. It’s one of those combos that is fresh, healthy, and easy to put together. This balsamic caprese chicken is seasoned with spices, garlic, and fresh lemon juice.
Then it is grilled until juicy tender, topped with cheddar cheese slices, fresh basil pesto, avocado, tomato, and balsamic glaze. The combination of flavors is truly the best and with sustainable ingredients you feel good about what you’re eating.
Tips to Make Your Summer Cookout More Environmentally Friendly
Consider making your next summer cookout more sustainably friendly! Here are some best tips and practices when it comes to shopping for your ingredients.
- Chicken breast – buy your chicken from a local pasture-raised farm. Farmers’ markets are a great place to check for local meat.
- Basil pesto – plant a pot of basil this summer and make your own 5-minute pesto. It’s a game-changer!
- Tomatoes & Avocado – check your local farmers market for fresh produce. It’s a great way to buy locally and support local farmers. TIP: store the tomatoes at room temperature to get the best of their flavor!
- Balsamic glaze – thick, syrupy like glaze with a slight sweetness that truly ties all of the components of this dish.
You can find it at most grocery stores in the oil aisle. Check the labels for ingredients and get to know the brand behind the product. Even better, make your own glaze!
I love partnering with sustainable brands that use clean, simple ingredients, and Craigs Creamery is exactly that.
Founded by a close-knit group of family-run farms in upstate New York, who are all about modern farming and sustainability (Love that!), they combine resources of a leading dairy company with cutting-edge technology.
How to Make Balsamic Chicken
Step 1: First slice your chicken breasts in half lengthwise. If needed, pound the chicken to about 1/2-inch thickness.
Step 2: Combine the garlic, lemon, and spice mixture in a bowl. Add the chicken and toss to combine. Let stand for about 10-15 minutes while you preheat the grill.
Step 3: Preheat the grill on medium-high heat. Don’t forget to clean and oil the grates. Add the chicken and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Top with Craigs Creamery Medium Cheddar Slices in the last minute of cooking.
Step 4: Remove the chicken off the grill, top with pesto, avocado, tomato, and balsamic glaze.
How Long Does it Take to Grill Chicken?
These chicken cutlets grill in about 2-3 minutes per each side. Since they are halved lengthwise to about 1/2-inch thickness they do not require as much cooking time as a whole breast would. So keep an eye on them and start checking for doneness around 2 minutes.
I like to grill the cutlets on one side for about 3 minutes then flip to the other side and grill for an additional 2 minutes. Check for doneness and grill for another minute if needed.
What Goes Good with Grilled Chicken?
The answer: just about anything! But for an easy cookout these are some of the best sides to serve with balsamic caprese chicken:
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Pasta Salad with Italian Dressing
- Creamy Orzo with Grilled Vegetables
- Cilantro Lime Coconut Rice
If you try this Balsamic Grilled Chicken, don’t forget to leave feedback and a rating.Print
Cheesy grilled chicken breast topped with pesto, tomato, avocado, and balsamic glaze. This easy summer meal comes together in under 30 minutes!
- 1 1/4 lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 2 medium breasts)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 slices medium cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil pesto
- 1–2 tomatoes on the vine, thinly sliced
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
- Balsamic glaze
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced, optional
- Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise to about 1/2-inch thickness. If needed, pound each cutlet between plastic wrap until desired thickness.
- In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic, lemon juice, honey, red pepper flakes, and salt. Add chicken to the mixture and toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes while pre-heating the grill.
- Pre-heat the grill on medium high heat. Clean and oil the grates. Add chicken and grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, covered, until cooked through. Thicker parts of the breast may require an additional minute or so. In the last minute of cooking, add the cheese and cook until melted.
- Remove the chicken to a platter, top with pesto, slice of avocado, tomato, and drizzle of balsamic glaze. If desired, garnish with fresh basil. I also like to add a light sprinkle of salt over the tomato and avocado, just before serving.
Keywords: fresh, summer, in season, easy, quick, caprese
This post has been sponsored by Craigs Creamery. All thoughts and opinions are my own.