These grilled chicken tacos are made with thighs for more flavor and quick cooking time. Served with simple toppings and insanely delicious cilantro lime cream.
Try serving it with Zucchini Corn Salad for an easy weeknight meal.
Grilled Chicken Tacos
Grilled tacos are one of those things that you can customize in just about any way you like and that’s what makes them SO good! Plus who doesn’t love a good build your own meal?
These easy grilled chicken tacos are perfect to whip up on a busy weeknight. Made with thighs instead of breasts. So they’re more flavorful. Plus they cook in a fraction of time.
Serve them topped with tomatoes, radishes, cilantro, and a sprinkle of queso fresco cheese. And let’s not forget the cilantro lime cream, which is a must-have with any tacos!
Reasons to Love These Grilled Tacos
- Full of flavor – made with dark meat, flavorful spice mixture, and creamy cilantro lime cream.
- Made with thighs – so they’re hard to overcook and super juicy.
- Easy on the grill – with only about 5 minutes of grill time on each side.
- Budget friendly – chicken thighs are a fraction of the cost when compared to chicken breast.
- Great for entertaining – this recipe is great for entertaining as it’s easy to double up (or even triple!) for larger crowds.
Ingredients for Grilled Chicken Tacos
- chicken thighs
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper
- olive oil
- kosher salt
Toppings for Serving
Tacos are great as you can set up a taco bar where everyone can add what they like! Here are some toppings to consider:
- diced tomatoes
- sliced radishes
- chopped red onions
- queso fresco cheese
Other Topping Ideas:
- roasted tomato salsa
- pickled onions
- shredded lettuce
- pico de gallo
- shredded lettuce
- sliced jalapeño
- grilled corn
How to Make Grilled Chicken Taco Recipe
Prepare all of the toppings before you grill the chicken. That way you can serve right away!
Toss chicken with spices: In a bowl, whisk together the oregano, chili powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and olive oil. Add chicken thighs to the bowl and toss around to evenly coat.
Grill the chicken: Preheat the grill on medium-high. Grill the chicken for about 5-6 minutes per side or until the thickest part of the chicken registers at 165F.
Slice and serve: Remove the chicken to a cutting board and lightly cover with foil. Let rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.
Tips for Making Chicken Thigh Tacos
- Grill chicken over medium-high heat (on direct heat) for only about 5-6 minutes per side for bigger thighs and 3-4 minutes per side for smaller thighs. Remove from grill once the internal temp has reached 165F. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- For best results, do not substitute thighs with chicken breast. Chicken breast requires different preparation.
- Prepare all of the toppings before you grill the chicken. Toppings can be prepared the day before, except for the tomatoes, which will release too much liquid if prepared too in advance.
- For a low-carb option, try serving the tacos inside a lettuce leaf, such as iceberg lettuce.
Sides for Tacos
- Easy Coleslaw
- Chopped Mexican Salad
- Mexican White Rice
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Pineapple Avocado and Bean Salsa
These grilled chicken tacos are made with thighs for more flavor and quick cooking time. Served with simple toppings and insanely delicious cilantro lime cream. Perfect meal for an easy weeknight!
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 12 (6-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup chopped tomato (about 1 large)
- 4–6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled queso fresco cheese*
- Cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Limes, quartered
Cilantro Lime Crema
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp. cilantro, minced
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together the oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and olive oil until well blended. Season with salt to taste. Add chicken thighs and toss to evenly coat.
- Preheat the grill on medium-high, add chicken thighs, and grill until cooked through about 5-6 minutes per side (3-4 minutes for smaller thighs). Thighs are done when the internal temperature registers at 165F. Remove the thighs to a cutting board or plate and cover with foil. Rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- To serve, pile on the sliced chicken into the center of each tortilla and top with your favorite toppings, including the cilantro lime crema.
Cilantro Lime Crema
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients until well blended. Keep refrigerated.
*queso fresco cheese is a soft, mild cheese, usually sold as a whole chunk
Keywords: summer, easy, Mexican