Tangy Greek cucumber salad with marinated red onions, tossed in a tzatziki inspired Greek yogurt dressing. It’s fresh, creamy, and has a good punch of flavor, and makes a perfect side for all of your summer get togethers.
It pairs amazingly with our Vodka Sauce Recipe and noodles for an easy meal!
Greek Cucumber Salad
Who doesn’t love a good cucumber salad? It’s fresh, tasty, and does not require a lot of ingredients. Not to mention it makes the perfect side to just about any meal.
I personally grew up eating cucumber salad tossed in sour cream and dill. My mom would make it every summer with homegrown veggies from our garden.
So today I’m putting my own spin on this childhood favorite with a lot of Greek inspired flavors. Oh and the most delicious marinated red onions.
What is Cucumber Yogurt Salad Made Of?
I recently started following Teri on IG and everything she makes looks insanely delicious, including her marinated onions. We make them all the time as they go with everything.
The combination of flavors is just so good. Not to mention the overall salad is so basic and easy. But that’s what I love about it. You can pretty much whip up a bowl of this salad any day of the week.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make Greek cucumber salad:
- Red onions
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Dried oregano
- English cucumbers
- Greek yogurt, full fat
- Fresh lemon juice
- Fresh dill
Greek Yogurt Dressing
The Greek yogurt dressing is very similar to a traditional tzatziki sauce. Except it doesn’t have any shredded cucumbers in the dressing.
It’s simply Greek yogurt combined with lemon juice, garlic, and dill. I recommend using full-fat Greek yogurt and fresh dill to get the best flavor. It’s tangy and fresh, with a slight bite from the garlic.
How to Make Greek Yogurt Cucumber Salad
- Step 1: Marinate the Onions – in a small bowl combine the sliced red onions with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and oregano. Let the onions sit at room temperature while you prepare the dressing and the rest of the salad.
- Step 2: Prepare the Dressing – combine the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and dill. Season the mixture with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Step 3: Toss with Cucumbers – in a large salad bowl, combine the sliced cucumbers with marinated onions and dressing. Mix to combine. Taste for salt before serving. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate for up to 30 minutes.
Leftovers: If you like the crisp taste of cucumbers, I recommend serving this salad immediately or within a half-hour of prep. Otherwise, the cucumbers will begin to soften as they release some of their water. You can store the leftover salad in the refrigerator for up 1 day. The cucumbers just won’t be as crisp.
How to Keep Cucumber Salad Crisp
One way to guarantee that your cucumber salad is crisp and fresh every single time is to buy the freshest cucumbers. Look for firm cucumbers, without blemishes or soft spots. They should be dark green without any yellow spots.
Another way to guarantee a crisp cucumber salad is to toss the salad with the dressing just before serving. Otherwise, if you prepare the salad way in advance the cucumbers will release water and begin to soften.
Lastly, a technique I have yet to try but apparently if you salt the sliced cucumbers beforehand, they release some of their water and stay crisp even after you add the dressing.
This Greek cucumber salad is creamy, light, and refreshing. It’s a great salad to serve on a warm summer day with:
- grilled meats – Yogurt Marinated Chicken Kebabs or Spicy Honey Chicken and Sweet Potato Kebabs with a side of Cilantro Rice
- seafood – Artichoke and Spinach Roasted Salmon or Bruschetta Baked Cod with Panko
- one pan meals – Lemon Roasted Chicken and Potatoes or Cod in Creamy Red Roasted Pepper Sauce
- simply some fresh naan bread or crusty bread
More Easy Cucumber Salads
- Tomato Cucumber Mozzarella Salad
- House Salad Recipe
- Watermelon Salad
- Pasta Salad with Italian Dressing
- Caprese Orzo Salad
Greek cucumber salad with marinated red onions tossed in a tzatziki inspired Greek yogurt dressing. It’s fresh, creamy, and has a good punch of flavor, and makes a perfect side for all of your summer get togethers.
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2–3 English cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (full fat)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the red onion, olive oil, vinegar, and oregano. Let the onions marinate at room temperature while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Place the sliced cucumbers into a large salad bowl.
- Combine the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, dill, salt, and black pepper. Add to the cucumbers, along with the marinated onions, including the liquid from the onions. Toss everything together really well. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate for up to 30 minutes before serving.
- For best flavor, use full-fat Greek yogurt and fresh dill. Don’t like dill? Try fresh parsley instead.
Keywords: Greek, easy, summer, cucumber salad
Recipe published on 6/14/2017. Updated on 6/3/2021.