Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers
One pan meals just might be the best invention ever. This Italian inspired sheet pan sausage and peppers recipe is made entirely on a sheet pan.
It’s loaded with delicious things like bell peppers, red onions, baby potatoes, and Italian sausage. The vegetables are tossed with flavorful spices and baked with sausage on a sheet pan.
This Italian sausage sheet pan dinner is going to become a weekly staple! It’s crazy easy and quick to throw together and will please even the pickiest eaters.
What is Italian Sausage Made Of?
Italian sausage is made of ground pork and flavored with fennel and garlic. It comes in a sweet or hot variety. There’s also a mild variety which is the same thing as sweet. Hot Italian sausage contains the same spices but with the addition of red pepper.
You can also find turkey Italian sausage or poultry Italian sausage (which is a blend of turkey and chicken). Both of these varieties are leaner options.
I love using a combination of pork and turkey Italian sausage for this recipe. The pork adds yummy flavor while the turkey keeps things more on the light side.
- Olive oil
- Spices – oregano, parsley, thyme, and red pepper flakes
- Bell peppers
- Red onion
- Baby gold potatoes
- Italian sausage – pork or turkey
- Fresh basil or parsley
- Parmesan cheese
How To Make Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Whisk together the olive oil, garlic, oregano, parsley, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, toss the bell peppers, onions, and potatoes with the oil herb mixture. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
I like to use my hands for this part to ensure the vegetables are fully coated with the seasoning. Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Next, remove the sausage from the casing and slice into 1-inch chunks. Place the chunks on the sheet pan, spreading out evenly between the vegetables.
Lastly, bake for 40 minutes, tossing halfway, or until the sausage and veggies are tender. Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil and Parmesan before serving.
Top Tips for Making One-Pan Meals
Whether you are making this Italian sausage and peppers recipe or something else, these quick tips will help you build the best one-pan meal.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper instead of foil. Foil is made out of thin aluminum and has no non-stick properties, unlike parchment paper. It’ll make clean up a breeze!
- Do not overcrowd your sheet pan. You want to give room for steam to escape, otherwise, you will end up with soggy veggies.
- Cut everything into approximately the same size. That way everything cooks evenly and within the same time range.
- Season thoroughly with salt, pepper, and spices. I love to use my hands to toss the veggies with spices to ensure everything is coated evenly.
- Right before serving, garnish with fresh herbs for an added punch of color and flavor.
- Best way to use up leftovers? Build a salad bowl by piling on veggies and protein on top of greens, such as spinach or kale. Add whatever else you have on hand (fresh veggies, nuts, seeds, cheese) and finish off with a drizzle of a salad dressing, such as Greek Salad Dressing.
More Italian Sausage Recipes
- Italian Zucchini Spaghetti Bake
- Sausage and Kale Soup
- Lemon Spaghetti with Sausage and Spinach
- Sausage and Rice Stuffed Peppers
- Sausage Zucchini Soup
Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Italian
One pan meals just might be the best invention ever. This Italian sausage and peppers recipe is made entirely on a sheet pan.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 12 oz. baby gold potatoes, halved
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, sweet/mild
- Fresh chopped basil, or parsley
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, oregano, parsley, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the bell peppers, onions, and potatoes with the oil herb mixture. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. I like to use my hands for this part to ensure the vegetables are fully coated with the seasoning. Spread onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and slice into 1-inch chunks. Place the chunks on the baking sheet, spreading out evenly between the vegetables.
- Bake 40 minutes, tossing halfway, or until the sausage and veggies are tender. Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil and Parmesan before serving.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 3.8 g
- Sodium: 354.8 mg
- Fat: 14.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.9 g
- Protein: 11.9 g
- Cholesterol: 18 mg
Keywords: sheet pan, easy, italian, family friendly, quick
Love this throw together meal, so simple and so delicious!
Sheet pans are weeknight heros! I love the combinations of sausages and peppers in your recipe, Katya. A must try!
I pretty much have all the ingredients for this Italian sausage and peppers sheet pan recipe but the Italian sausage. Well, I’m definitely adding it to my grocery list because this looks so delicious!
This Italian sausage and peppers is speaking to my Italian soul. On our last trip to Italy I fell in love with all the foods that Italy has to offer. The fact that you make it all on one sheet, is so awesome!
I am a sucker for one pan meals! Totally loving the sausage with vegetables, something my whole family will enjoy.
Yes! Me too. Such an easy way to feed a family.