Juicy and tender yogurt marinated chicken kebabs with garlic, spices, lemon, and cilantro.
- 1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or grated with microplane
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, grated with a box-grater
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch chunks
- In a large bowl, combine the ingredients for the marinade: yogurt, garlic, paprika, cumin, onion, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the marinade and stir to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Grease the grill grates thoroughly as the yogurt marinade makes the chicken stick to the grates.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers and grill the chicken kabobs until golden brown and cooked through, turning the skewers occasionally, 13 to 15 minutes. If necessary, use a metal BBQ spatula to scrape underneath the kabobs to release prior to turning.
- Serve immediately. You can keep the chicken on the skewers or feel free to take it off.
- Onion: Use a box grater with large holes to grate the onion. Grating the onion releases some of the juices which makes the meat tender.
- Skewers: If using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in cold water for at least 1 hour before using so they don’t burn.
Keywords: kebabs, summer, yogurt marinade