This easy coleslaw recipe comes together in minutes! It’s creamy, tangy, and will surely become your go-to summer side dish!
Easy Coleslaw Recipe
Our easy coleslaw recipe is easy to make, it takes no time at all, and is the perfect combination of creamy and tangy. What makes this coleslaw so easy? Pre-shredded coleslaw mix.
Coleslaw mix is made of shredded cabbage and carrots. You can pick up a bag of coleslaw mix at just about any supermarket. It makes making coleslaw a breeze!
This coleslaw makes a great last-minute side and goes perfectly with grilled chicken and burgers. It’s also a delicious taco topper, and just the perfect signature side for a classic summer barbecue spread.
Ingredients for Easy Coleslaw Recipe
What makes this coleslaw recipe absolutely delicious is the dressing. It’s a blend of mayonnaise, sour cream, oil, and lemon juice. Mayonnaise adds richness while the sour cream provides the tang. The dressing is cut with some fresh lemon juice, oil, and honey. It’s rich, tangy, and slightly sweet. Feel free to add more honey.
- coleslaw mix
- red onions
- sour cream
- avocado oil or olive oil
- lemon juice
How to Make Easy Coleslaw Recipe
First, make the easy coleslaw dressing recipe: In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, avocado oil, lemon juice, and honey. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
Next, combine the coleslaw with the dressing: To a large bowl, add the coleslaw mix, red onions, and cilantro. Add the coleslaw dressing and toss to combine. Taste for salt and pepper, and add more if needed.
To Make Coleslaw in Advance: To make coleslaw in advance (1-2 days) simply prepare the coleslaw mix with red onions and cilantro. Store covered until ready to serve. Same with the dressing — whisk the dressing ingredients together and keep refrigerated until ready to assemble the salad.
Should You Let Coleslaw Sit?
It depends on whether you like your slaw more crunchy or soft. For a softer coleslaw, chill the slaw for 10-15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to blend together and for the slaw to slightly soften. If you prefer a crunchier slaw, serve it right away.
Keep in the mind the longer coleslaw sits the more liquid is released from the shredded cabbage, which can make the salad soggy.
What to Serve with Coleslaw?
Coleslaw goes well with so many dishes and can be served year-round. Here are some main dishes that serve well with the coleslaw:
- Ground Turkey Stroganoff
- Stuffed Shells with Sausage
- Sesame Chicken Wings
- Chicken Stuffed Zucchini
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Creamy Shredded Chicken
Easy creamy coleslaw recipe that comes together in just minutes! This will surely become your go-to slaw recipe.
- 14–16 oz. bag cabbage coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. honey, plus more to taste
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Combine the coleslaw mix, red onions, and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, avocado oil, lemon juice, and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mix. Toss gently to combine, making sure all the shreds are coated evenly.
- Serve right away if you prefer crunchier slaw. For a softer slaw, chill for 10-15 minutes before serving. Slaw will keep for several days but it does soften the longer it sits.
- Few Notes & Tips: For best flavor, do not use reduced-fat mayo or sour cream. If you prefer your slaw more on a sweeter side, add more honey to taste.
- To Make Ahead: Combine the coleslaw mix, red onions, and cilantro. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Whisk the ingredients for the dressing and keep refrigerated until ready to assemble the salad.
Keywords: easy cabbage salad, summer bbq, easy slaw