Tangy cucumber salad with marinated red onions, tossed in a tzatziki inspired Greek yogurt dressing. It’s fresh, creamy, and has a good punch of flavor, and makes a perfect side for all of your summer get togethers.
Who doesn’t love a good cucumber salad? It’s fresh, tasty, and does not require a million ingredients. Not to mention it makes the perfect summer side. I personally grew up eating cucumber salads tossed in sour cream and dill. My mom would make it every summer with homegrown veggies from our garden. So today I’m putting my own spin on this childhood favorite with a lot of Greek inspired flavors. Oh and the most delicious marinated red onions!
I recently started following Teri on IG and everything she makes looks insanely delicious, including these marinated onions. They add such a delicious twist to the salad, especially when combined with Greek yogurt dressing. The dressing is very similar to a traditional tzatziki sauce. It’s tangy, fresh, with a slight bite from the garlic. Serve it with grilled chicken, spicy shrimp, or just eat as it with biggle chunk of crusty bread.
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano
- 2-3 English cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (full fat)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- ¼ cup fresh chopped dill
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the red onion, olive oil, vinegar, and oregano. Let the onions marinate at room temperature while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Place the sliced cucumbers into a large salad bowl.
- Combine the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, dill, salt, black pepper, and then add to the cucumbers, along with the marinated onions. Toss everything together really well. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes before serving.