Mediterranean Quinoa Lettuce Boats
Mediterranean quinoa salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, fresh herbs, and feta. Served in a crisp lettuce boat for a light meal or side dish.
These crisp lettuce boats are inspired by Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad. They are fresh, simple, and so satisfying.
The filling is a Mediterranean-inspired quinoa salad with fresh veggies, fragrant herbs, and salty feta cheese. All tossed in a simple olive oil and lemon combo, then served inside crisp lettuce leaves.
Enjoy these lettuce boats as a side dish or a light meal.
How to Make Lettuce Boats
The Quinoa Filling
The quinoa filling is a delicious combination of Mediterranean flavors. Crisp cucumber, tomatoes, parsley, green onions, fresh mint, and crumbled feta cheese. All dressed in olive oil, lemon juice, and cumin.
You can adjust the seasoning to your own liking. I find that after the salad had time to stand it absorbs some of the dressing and seasoning. So feel free to more lemon juice, olive oil, salt, or black pepper.
Best Lettuce to Use
Baby romaine lettuce works great for these lettuce boats. It has sturdy leaves that hold a good amount of filling without falling apart.
You could also use long leaves of romaine, cut into a few pieces, or Bibb or butter lettuce.
Ways to Add Protein
These lettuce boats are filling enough to serve on their own as a light lunch, snack, or you can serve them as a side dish alongside any of the following entrees:
- Herb Baked Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Tenders
- Yogurt Marinated Chicken Kebabs
- Artichoke and Spinach Roasted Salmon
- Chicken Stuffed Zucchini
If you love this lettuce boats recipe, try these lettuce wrap recipes:
- Korean Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Blackened Salmon Lettuce Wraps
- Spicy Coconut Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
Mediterranean quinoa salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, fresh herbs, and feta. Served in a crisp lettuce boat.
- 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa, completely chilled
- 3/4 cup diced cucumber
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice 1 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Baby romaine leaves or Boston lettuce, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the quinoa, cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley, green onions, mint, and feta cheese.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Add to the quinoa and toss to combine. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Spoon the salad into baby romaine leaves and serve immediately.
- Recipe originally published 7/12/15.
- Serving Size: 2 lettuce boats with 1/2 cup quinoa filling each
- Calories: 318
- Sugar: 3.7 g
- Sodium: 134.8 mg
- Fat: 19.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.6 g
- Protein: 8.4 g
- Cholesterol: 11.1 mg
Keywords: vegetarian, easy, salad