We went strawberry picking last weekend with our dear friends and had whole lotta fun! The kids of course just wanted to run around and eat the strawberries while we or should I say “I” was on the mission to bring home a load of strawberries as I’ve been recipe planning for weeks for this day. Happy to report we brought home some delicious beautiful ripe strawberries. Twelve pounds of them too! I went a little crazy and made a simple strawberry syrup to have around to serve over pancakes, add into desserts or yogurt. I froze a portion for smoothies and homemade ice cream. AND with the rest I made a CAKE!
This strawberry shortcake cake is a delicious spin on the classic individual sized shortcakes usually made during the summer months with sweet ripe strawberries! I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not a huge cake person. Meaning I like to eat cake but not make cake. I feel like most cakes are complicated and take too much time and for me personally I always screw them up one way or another. However, this CAKE is easy peasy stuff. Anyone can make it!
Ingredients for Strawberry Shortcake Cake
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Vanila extract
- Heavy cream
- Fresh strawberries
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Cake
You simply start off with a basic white cake batter made with buttermilk. Buttermilk makes everything super tender and soft, in this case giving the cake a little more softer texture and body. I folded fresh strawberries into the batter for a delicious spin on the classic. Then topped it off with two ingredient homemade whipped topping (heavy cream + sugar) and more fresh strawberries.
It truly is a simple, yet delicious dessert to make now. Plus you can’t go wrong with a homemade cake in 30 minutes! Does not happen too often, especially in my world.
You can make the cake one day in advance. Cool completely, cover, and store at room temperature. Just before serving, slather on whipped topping and strawberries.
Hope you guys enjoy this sweet little cake as much as we did…’cause we sure did 🙂
Incredibly easy, quick, and under 10 ingredients! This is the best strawberry cake to make.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease 9-inch round baking pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and grease the paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, melted butter, egg and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined and moistened. The batter will be thick. Fold in the sliced strawberries.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Remove paper.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with sugar on high speed until firm peaks form, about 4 minutes. (The cream should become stiff and take on volume – if you take out your whisk out of the cream, the peaks in whipped cream will hold firmly but have a slightly softened tip). Do not whip much more beyond this point or the whipped cream will turn into butter.
- Spread the whipped topping over the chilled cake. Arrange sliced strawberries over the top. Serve immediately.
Keywords: strawberry cake, strawberry shortcake, strawberry shortcake cake