I’m not a plum kinda girl. I don’t particularly like plums nor care much about them but tis’ the season for plums now as they are EVERYWHERE! My parents had plum trees growing up so I remember eating them all the time. So purple, juicy and sweet. That’s probably my only memory of plums. But plums are actually good even though they don’t get much love in my house these days. High in Vitamin C, sweet, juicy , especially when purchased in peak season.
I picked up two pounds of plums the other day to make this beautiful nut and plum cake. This cake recipe caught my eye in one of my Russian cookbooks that’s been collecting dust all these years. Only if I knew it was filled with delicious cakes like this one.
Caramelized sweet plums baked with ground almonds and hazelnuts. Only 7 ingredients! Fairly easy to make and tastes absolutely delish, especially when served hot.
Be prepared though…you will need a glass of cold milk. It’s very rich and nutty. Or maybe a cup of hot coffee and a slice of this baby for breakfast. Yum, ha?
- 2 lbs. plums, pitted and sliced into eights (large plums) or fourths (medium-small plums)
- 3/4 cups whole raw almonds
- 3/4 cups whole raw hazelnuts
- 3/4 cups + 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2–3 Tbsp. apricot preserves
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a food processor, grind almonds and hazelnuts until crumb consistency.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar until creamy. Add one egg at a time and flour. With a spoon, mix in nuts. Batter should be thick consistency.
- Spoon the batter into buttered and floured 9-inch springform pan.
- Starting in the middle, insert the plum slices half way into the batter in a circular pattern.
- Bake the cake in a preheated 375F oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes lower the temperature (while the cake is in the oven) to 300F and continue baking for additional 40 minutes.
- Warm (in microwave) the apricot preserves for 30 seconds or until runny. Brush the top of the baked cake with warm apricot preserves. Cool slightly. Slice and serve.