The most festive summer tomato mozzarella salad with balsamic reduction. Make this as an appetizer or side and you’ll be the talk of the party!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
TOMATO AND MOZZARELLA SALAD
Tomato mozzarella salad is a summer favorite. Sweet ripe tomatoes with pillowy soft mozzarella and fresh basil.
Drizzled with delicious balsamic reduction that you can make ahead of time or even better, pick one up at the store.
It’s one of those salads that you can serve as an appetizer or throw in some tender greens and enjoy it for a light lunch.
Ingredients for Tomato Mozzarella Salad
This tomato and mozzarella salad is one of the quickest and easiest salads you can put together.
It’s made with ingredients that are easily available year-round but of course, this mozzarella salad tastes the best in the summertime. You’ll need:
- Hothouse tomatoes (beefsteak), slightly on the firm side
- Fresh mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Balsamic glaze or make your own with balsamic vinegar (see below)
Balsamic Reduction Recipe
To speedy up the prep, you can pick up a bottle of balsamic glaze at the store. However, if you do decide to make your own balsamic reduction, you’ll just need one ingredient: balsamic vinegar.
You’ll want to add balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer, partially covered, for about 20-30 minutes or until reduced to a thicker glaze.
Reduce heat if needed. Keep an eye on it so it does not burn. Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
How to Make Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
This mozzarella salad is best served the same day. If making your own balsamic reduction, prepare it ahead of time to save on prep time.
- Step 1: Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Arrange with the basil leaves in an alternating pattern in a serving dish. You want a dish that you can easily stand the slices in a vertical pattern.
- Step 2: Drizzle the salad with olive oil and balsamic glaze.
- Step 3: Season with salt and pepper. Serve right away. It tastes the best at room temperature.
What to Serve with Tomato Mozzarella Salad
Enjoy this fresh mozzarella salad as an appetizer or top a crusty slice of bread with this salad for a light lunch. You can also serve the salad along side these entrées.
- Healthy Chicken Meatballs
- Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Roasted Herb Chicken
- Grilled Mediterranean Turkey Burgers
If you try this Tomato Mozzarella Salad, don’t forget to leave feedback and a rating.Print
The most festive tomato mozzarella salad with balsamic reduction. Make this as an appetizer or side and you’ll be the talk of the party!
- 4–5 hothouse (beefsteak) tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 (16 oz.) logs of fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Generous bunch of fresh basil leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Balsamic glaze (or make your own – see below)
- In a casserole type dish (I used 8X11X3) arrange slices of tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil vertically, in an alternating patten until you have created two rows. You may have more rows depending on the size of the dish.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of the salad, followed by a drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
- I like to use tomatoes that are slightly on the firm side. I find that they slice and hold up a little better.
- To make homemade balsamic reduction: add 2 cups balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan, bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook 20-30 minutes, partially covered, until balsamic vinegar has reduced to a thicker glaze. Keep an eye on it as it burns easily. Cool and store covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Keywords: summer, vegetables, creamy, grilling, easy
Tomato Mozzarella Salad was first published in February 2015. Updated with new photos and text in July 2019.