Herb Baked Chicken
Ridiculously easy and foolproof herb baked chicken drumsticks. Seasoned perfectly with a mixture of dried herbs and baked until golden crisp on the outside and melt in your mouth tender inside.
Herb Baked Chicken
Want an easy weeknight dinner that you can throw together in minutes with very little cleanup?
This herb baked chicken is your answer!
These baked chicken drumsticks with garlic and herbs come together super easy, require basically no cleanup, and taste ridiculously good.
What is the Best Herb for Chicken?
The secret to best tasting herb chicken drumsticks is all in the herb rub. The dry mix of herbs and spices adds a unique zing to the chicken with just the right amount of heat and flavor.
You’ll need dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
Most of these spices you might already have on hand and if you don’t feel free to substitute with what you have.
How to Make Herb Baked Chicken
Make the herb rub: In a small bowl, whisk together the dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
Toss chicken with oil: Pat dry the chicken drumsticks lightly with a paper towel and pour olive oil over the chicken. Using your hands, toss the chicken to coat with oil.
Toss with herb rub: Sprinkle the herb rub over the chicken and toss to coat with the seasoning making sure each piece is evenly coated.
Bake: Arrange the drumsticks on a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 375 F oven. Then flip the drumsticks and bake for 25-30 minutes more.
How to Tell Chicken is Done without a Thermometer?
Don’t have an instant-read cooking thermometer? No problem.
Simply cut into the thickest part of the chicken drumstick and if the juices run clear, the chicken is fully cooked. If the juices are red or have a pinkish color, cook the chicken a little longer.
Another good indication that the chicken is done is if the chicken meat easily pulls away from the bone.
Can I Make This with Other Cuts of Chicken?
Yes! Feel free to use bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, or a mixture of drumsticks and thighs together. Bone-in thighs bake similar to drumsticks.
If you choose to use the rub on other cuts of chicken, simply adjust the bake time accordingly.
What to Serve with Herb Chicken Drumstricks
When it comes to serving herb baked chicken legs, the possibilities are endless.
Serve the chicken alongside one of these sides:
- Cauliflower Mash
- Mexican White Rice
- Easy Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Baked Potato Fries
- Red Skin Mashed Potatoes
- Quinoa Salad with Avocado
For a lighter meal, this chicken serves amazingly with a salad, such as:
- Pasta Salad with Italian Dressing
- Avocado and Apple Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Tomato Mozzarella Salad
- Chopped Greek Salad with Avocado
- Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad
Herb baked chicken is a foolproof family favorite recipe that never disappoints! It comes together so quick and easily.
- 2 lbs. chicken drumsticks, pat dried with paper towel
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. If using aluminum foil, lightly coat with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the spices and set aside.
- Place the chicken drumsticks into a large bowl. Make sure they have already been pat dried with a paper towel. Add olive oil and using your hands, toss to coat.
- Sprinkle in the seasoning mix and using your hands again, toss the drumsticks making sure each piece is thoroughly coated with the seasoning.
- Arrange the drumsticks on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes. Then flip the drumsticks and roast for additional 25-30 minutes. If desired, broil for 2-3 minutes for extra crispy skin.
- Chicken: Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs bake similar to drumsticks and can be used instead or a combination of both.
- Leftovers: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: 2 drumsticks
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 297.6 mg
- Fat: 13.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.9 g
- Protein: 50.8 g
- Cholesterol: 231.4 mg
Keywords: easy, family friendly, seasoned