The easiest potato soup recipe! Made with only 6-ingredients and requires no roux. It’s creamy, thick, and so satisfying.
Easy Potato Soup Recipe
This easy potato soup recipe is perfect for busy nights. It’s crazy easy to make with only 6-ingredients! Not to mention it requires no roux to thicken the soup.
Instead, it’s made with cream cheese that gets blended up with some of the soup for an ultra-creamy base.
What Potatoes are Best for Soup?
Russet potatoes are our pick! They are high in starch and low in moisture. They’re fluffy, making them great for boiling. Plus they aren’t firm and waxy like red or yellow potatoes. They break down easily when boiled and blend up really well too.
Ingredients for Potato Soup
You’ll need the following ingredients:
- Yellow onion
- Russet potatoes
- Chicken stock
- Cream cheese
How to Make Potato Soup
- Melt butter in the dutch oven and cook onions until soft. Stir in garlic and cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Stir in potatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are knife tender.
- Add 3 cups of the soup mixture into a food-processor or blender. Add cream cheese and blend just until smooth. Do not over blend otherwise the mixture will turn gummy.
- Stir the puréed mixture back into the soup. Taste the soup for salt and pepper before serving.
Potato Soup Toppings
Toppings just might be the best part of this soup. They add another layer of flavor and you can customize the toppings to suit your taste.
- Cooked bacon
- Cheddar cheese
- Green onions
Also, a dollop of sour cream, chives, or a sprinkle of red chili flakes makes delicious toppings for this soup.
Leftover potato soup will last in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days when stored in an airtight container. Reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat.
Can this soup be frozen? Normally potato soup doesn’t freeze well. Freezing soups with potatoes can become soggy, watery, or even grainy texture once thawed. Plus, dairy-based soups can separate and lose their creamy consistency.
More Easy Soup RecipesPrint
Super simple potato soup with 6-ingredients! It’s creamy, thick and so satisfying. Enjoy it topped with cooked bacon, cheddar cheese, and green onions.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- Cheddar cheese
- Green onions
- Melt butter over medium heat in a dutch oven or a soup pot. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add potatoes and chicken stock. Season well with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered until potatoes are knife tender, about 12-14 minutes.
- Ladle 3 cups of potato mixture into a food-processor or blender. Add cream cheese and blend just until smooth. Make sure not to over blend or the potato mixture will turn gummy. Stir the puree back into the soup. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve topped with bacon, cheese, and green onions.
- Leftovers: Leftover soup will last in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days when stored in an airtight container. I do not recommend freezing this soup. Potato based soups can turn soggy, watery, or even grainy texture once thawed.
Keywords: simple vegetable soup, creamy soup, fall