Quick and easy broccoli potato soup that is creamy (with fraction of the cream) and oh so belly warming good! Made with simple ingredients, pureed until thick, and then topped with green onions, cheddar cheese, and bacon.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This soup is the ultimate soup to make on a cold day. It’s made with simple ingredients and takes very little time to make. So it is perfect for a weeknight! It’s also insanely creamy and thick but has fraction of the cream and cheese. Instead the soup is pureed and then topped with cheddar cheese, green onions, and bacon.
You start off by sautéing the veggies. Then you want to add your broccoli, potatoes, spices, and stock. Simmer everything until tender. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
Lastly add your half-and-half and then all is left to do is to serve with cheddar cheese, green onions, and bacon bits. It’s insanely satisfying.
Broccoli potato soup ready in 30 minutes! This easy lightened-up version is thick, comforting, without the extra calories.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 5 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
- 1 (32 oz.) carton low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half
- kosher salt and black pepper
- green onions
- cheddar cheese
- cooked bacon
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven. Add onions, carrots, and garlic. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until soft.
- Add broccoli, potatoes, bay leaves, ground mustard, and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Give a quick stir and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
- Discard bay leaves. Puree soup in either a blender or with an immersion blender. I like to keep the soup semi-chunky so I mash some of the soup with a potato masher and run the rest through a blender until smooth.
- Stir in half and half. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve with green onions, cheddar cheese, and bacon.
Keywords: easy, light, vegetable, winter, healthy comfort food