Chickpea Tomato Salad
Easy chickpea tomato salad with only handful of ingredients tossed in the most amazing oregano vinaigrette. It makes the perfect side to chicken, such as our Easy Roasted Herb Chicken.
Chickpea Tomato Salad
I love easy salads, especially ones that pair well with different types of main dishes. This chickpea tomato salad is so simple and it goes well with some of our favorite foods, such as Chicken Gyros, Roasted Lemon Rosemary Chicken, and Bruschetta Baked Cod with Panko.
It’s made with only 5-ingredients — garbanzo beans, tomatoes, olives, feta, parsley, and tossed in a zesty oregano vinaigrette. As the salad chills, all the flavors blend, and every bite is like a little dance party of flavor in your mouth.
And if you’re simply looking for a light lunch, try this salad with crusty bread. It’s pure heaven!
Ingredients for Chickpea and Tomato Salad
With only 5-ingredients, plus the oregano vinaigrette, this chickpea and tomato salad comes together in a cinch! You’ll need the following ingredients:
- Chickpeas – canned chickpeas, whether 1 – 28 ounce can or 2 – 14 ounce cans. Just make sure to thoroughly drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Olives – I love black olives in this salad for their mild flavor, however, Kalamata olives are another alternative. They’re rich in flavor and saltier tasting. Depending on preference, you may require less olives.
- Tomatoes – grape or cherry tomatoes, or a combination of both.
- Feta – buy a block of feta in brine and crumble it yourself. It’s so much more flavorful
- Parsley – don’t like parsley? Swap it out for fresh basil, mint, or dill!
How to Make Chickpea Tomato Salad
With only few steps and about 15-minutes of your time, this easy chickpea tomato salad requires very little effort. Just give yourself an hour to chill the salad so all the flavors have time to blend.
- Combine the salad ingredients: Have all of your salad ingredients ready: rinsed, drained, and chopped. In a large salad bowl, combine the chickpeas, tomatoes, olives, feta, and parsley. Set aside.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients: olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, honey, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad with vinaigrette: Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
This is such a great salad as the flavors work well with other ingredients too. Change up the salad by adding:
- diced red peppers
- sliced cucumber
- chopped avocado
- chopped romaine lettuce or spinach
- canned artichokes
Pair this chickpea tomato salad with some of these favorite weeknight meals:
- Yogurt Marinated Chicken Kebabs
- Artichoke and Spinach Roasted Salmon
- Stuffed Shells with Sausage
- Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce
- Penne Vodka Sauce
Love Chickpeas and Can’t Get Enough? Try these salad recipes with chickpeas:
- Chickpea Salad with Arugula
- Pasta Salad with Italian Dressing
- Chopped Greek Salad with Avocado
- Mexican Tuna Salad with Creamy Cilantro Dressing
Easy chickpea tomato salad is made with only 5-ingredients, plus the vinaigrette. It’s incredibly flavorful and we love to serve it along side chicken dishes.
- 1 (28 ounce) can garbanzo beans, well drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced black olives*
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 2 Tbsp. fresh minced parsley*
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Combine garbanzo beans, olives, tomatoes, feta, and parsley in a large salad bowl.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients, pour over the salad, and toss until combined.
- Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
- Variations: Kalamata olives would be a delicious swap for the black olives. Don’t like parsley? Swap it out for fresh basil, dill, or mint.
- Optional Add-Ins: This salad is also great with diced red peppers, sliced cucumbers, diced avocado, chopped romaine or spinach, and canned artichokes.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 136
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 366.6 mg
- Fat: 5.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.8 g
- Protein: 5.9 g
- Cholesterol: 11.1 mg
Keywords: side, grilled chicken, quick, authentic
Originally published 8/9/2019. Updated 5/30/2021.