Asian green bean recipe makes a tasty addition to any meal! The combination of sweet and spicy is so delicious.
Garlicky with a hint of sweetness, these spicy green beans are incredibly delicious and easy to make!
What makes them unique is the way they’re prepared. The green beans are quickly blanched in salted water and then pan-fried with garlic, soy sauce, chili flakes, and honey.
It’s a two-step process that takes less than 10 minutes to ensure perfectly crunchy and seasoned green beans every single time.
Ingredients for Asian Green Beans
You’ll need seven ingredients to make Asian green bean recipe:
- Green Beans: Fresh green beans with ends trimmed work the best for this recipe.
- Salt: I prefer kosher salt for my recipes. Taste, as you go, is my best advice when salting food.
- Avocado Oil: I like avocado oil for its neutral taste. But olive oil works great too.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic minced or pressed can be used here.
- Red Chili Flakes: They’re going to add some heat to the green beans.
- Soy Sauce: Be careful salting the green beans since soy sauce is very salty.
- Honey: Honey is going to add a touch of sweetness. Feel free to add more to taste.
How to Make Asian Style Green Beans
Bring 4-quarts of water and 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil. When the water is boiling, add the green beans. Cook the green beans for 2-3 minutes or until tender-crisp. Immediately remove to a bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, red chili flakes, soy sauce, and honey. Set aside.
In a large non-stick skillet heat avocado oil over medium heat. When hot, add the green beans and cook, stirring frequently, until charred and tender, about 4-5 minutes.
Add the garlic mixture and cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant, while tossing the green beans non-stop. Season with salt to taste before serving.
How Spicy are Asian Green Beans?
These Asian-style green beans have a slightly spicy bite to them with a hint of sweetness. I personally find them not overly spicy but at the same time, I would not feed them to my kids.
These greens beans serve well with anything grilled in the warmer months. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Grilled Chicken Tenders
- Yogurt Marinated Chicken Kebabs
- Grilled Garlic Shrimp
- Spicy Honey Chicken and Sweet Potato Kebabs
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken
More Easy Side Dishes
- Roasted Asparagus with Lemon
- Roasted Garlic Green Beans
- Easy Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Rosemary Garlic Potatoes
- Maple Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Sweet and spicy green beans make the best side dish. They are so flavorful and so easy to make!
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 4–5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp. red chili flakes
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- In a large stock pot, bring 4 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to boil. Add beans to the boiling water and cook until the green beans are bright green and crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Immediately remove to a clean bowl with a pair of tongs while letting excess water drip back into the pot.
- Combine the garlic, red chili flakes, soy sauce, and honey in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet or sauté pan, heat avocado oil over medium heat. Add green beans and cook until charred and tender, about 4-5 minutes, while tossing frequently.
- Add the garlic mixture to the green beans and cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant, while tossing the green beans non-stop. Make sure not to burn the garlic. Taste and season with salt as needed before serving.
Keywords: easy, vegetable side, holidays