Healthy apple cinnamon pancakes with white whole wheat flour, honey, shredded apples, and cinnamon. You won’t believe how fluffy these are!
Serve them with butter and pure maple syrup for yummy fall breakfast. Or enjoy these cold the next day for a snack topped with plain Greek yogurt and no-can strawberry-blueberry honey jam. So good!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
The best part of fall besides everything pumpkin is the apple season. There are so many varieties of apples to choose from and you can incorporate them into every meal.
These apple pancakes are so fluffy and full of apple flavor. No to mention they’re made with white whole wheat flour and sweetened only with honey.
The trick to getting these pancakes super fluffy is milk and little vinegar. Combine the two and you have homemade “buttermilk” and we know that buttermilk makes the best pancakes.
The rest of the recipe is incredibly basic and easy. You can use any variety of sweet apples, such as Fuji, Gala, Honeycrisp, or Ambrosia.
Ingredients for Apple Pancake Recipe
- Milk – you want cow’s milk, preferably whole
- Vinegar – either white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- White whole wheat flour – I absolutely love baking with this flour! It has the exact same nutritional value of whole wheat flour but because of the wheat variety used, it has a milder flavor and paler color. I love King Arthur Flour brand. You can use 100% whole wheat flour but just keep in mind you’ll have more dense pancakes.
- Baking powder, ground cinnamon, salt
- Egg – you’ll need one large egg
- Butter – unsalted butter or substitute melted coconut oil
- Honey – or swap it out for maple syrup
- Vanilla – pure vanilla extract
- Apples – use any variety of sweet apples, such as Gala. Just remember to peel them before shredding.
How to Make Apple Pancakes
Step 1: Make buttermilk – combine the milk and vinegar together. Let the mixture stand for 5-8 minutes. It will curdle and that’s exactly what you want.
Step 2: Dry ingredients – in a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
Step 3: Wet ingredients – to the milk mixture, add the egg, butter, honey, and vanilla. Whisk until blended.
Step 4: Combine dry + wet ingredients – pour the milk mixture into the flour and using a wooden spoon, stir until combined. Do not overmix. Gently stir in the shredded apples and let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes.
Step 5: Cook the pancakes – heat a non-stick pan over medium. Coat the skillet with either cooking spray or butter.
Pour 1/3 cup of pancake batter into the skillet. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until you see little bubbles on top and the edges starting to turn golden brown.
Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the pancakes are cooked through.
How to Keep Pancakes Warm
The best way to keep your pancakes warm is in the oven. If you simply cover them, they’ll become limp and lose those crisped edges but in the oven, they stay warm without losing that beautiful texture.
Heat oven to 225 degrees F and place a large baking sheet inside. By the time you make your batter the oven should be nice and warm.
As you cook the pancakes, transfer them to the heated oven. Keep them in a single layer. Some overlapping is okay.
Toppings for Pancakes
- Pure maple syrup – classic and always a favorite! Tip: warm your maple syrup before serving.
- Honey Vanilla Mascarpone – so good and creamy!
- Greek yogurt
- Fresh fruit
- Healthy caramel sauce – this one looks amazing!
- Nuts – toasted pecans, walnuts, or almonds
If you try this Apple Cinnamon Pancakes, don’t forget to leave feedback and a rating.Print
Fluffy apple cinnamon pancakes made with white whole wheat flour, honey, shredded apples, and cinnamon. They make the best fall breakfast!
- 1 cup milk (cow’s)
- 1 Tbsp. white distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded apples, such as Gala, about 1–2 apples
- Cooking spray or butter for the pan
- In a mixing bowl, combine the milk and vinegar. Stir and set aside. It should begin to lightly curdle within 5-8 minutes. That’s what you want. It’s going to be our homemade buttermilk mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- To the milk mixture, add the egg, butter, honey, and vanilla. Whisk until blended.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix. It’s okay to have some lumps. Gently stir in the shredded apples and set the mixture aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium. Coat the skillet with cooking spray or butter and when hot, pour 1/3 cup of pancake batter into the skillet.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until you see little bubbles on top and the edges starting to turn golden brown. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the pancakes are cooked through. Remove to a platter and repeat with the remaining batter. Reduce heat if pancakes begin to brown too quickly. Serve with maple syrup and chopped walnuts, if desired.
- Flour: you can use 100% whole wheat flour in place of white whole wheat flour. Just keep in the mind the pancakes will be more dense.
- Butter: butter can be swapped out for melted coconut oil.
- Honey: swap out honey for maple syrup if desired.
- Apples: sweet variety of apples work the best in this recipe. So Fuji, Gala, Honeycrisp, or Ambrosia are all good options.
- Leftovers: leftover pancakes can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Also cold pancakes make the best snack, especially when a sweet craving strikes. Topped with plain Greek yogurt and some jam. Insanely delicious.
Keywords: fall, healthy pancakes, easy, buttermilk pancakes