Moist and naturally sweetened, these whole wheat morning muffins are perfect on the go. Packed with wholesome oats, carrots, coconut, and raisins. Make them ahead for busy mornings.
My kids absolutely adore muffins and I’m always on a hunt for a good recipe. One that is lightly sweetened, moist, and also made with good ingredients.
These morning muffins are an adaptation of coconut-carrot morning glory muffins from this (affiliate link) cookbook that I picked up before the holidays.
They are insanely moist (like INSANELY moist), perfectly sweetened, and made with wholesome ingredients. We absolutely love these on busy mornings paired with a green smoothie or as an after school snack.Print
Moist and naturally sweetened, these whole wheat muffins are perfect on the go. Packed with wholesome oats, carrots, coconut, and raisins. Make them ahead for busy mornings.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, in liquid form
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup peeled and grated carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: coconut oil, honey, eggs, banana, applesauce, and vanilla.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and gently stir with a wooden spoon just until moistened. Fold in carrots, coconut, and raisins.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 10-12 muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with shredded coconut.
- Bake the muffins for 17-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Place the muffin pan on a cooling rack to cool. Store cooled muffins, covered, at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 13.8 g
- Sodium: 142.5 mg
- Fat: 10.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.7 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 37.2 mg
Keywords: wholesome, on the go, healthy, whole grain