Fluffy apple cinnamon pancakes made with white whole wheat flour, honey, shredded apples, and cinnamon. They make the best fall breakfast!
- 1 cup milk, dairy milk, preferably whole
- 1 Tbsp. white distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 4 Tbsp. honey
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled and shredded apples, such as Gala, about 1-2 apples
- Cooking spray or butter for cooking
- In a mixing bowl, combine the milk and vinegar. Stir and set aside. It should begin to lightly curdle within 5-8 minutes. That’s what you want. It’s going to be our homemade buttermilk mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- To the milk mixture, add the egg, butter, honey, and vanilla. Whisk until blended.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix. It’s okay to have some lumps. Gently stir in the shredded apples and set the mixture aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Coat the skillet with cooking spray or butter and when hot, pour 1/3 cup of pancake batter into the skillet.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until you see little bubbles on top and the edges starting to turn golden brown. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the pancakes are cooked through. Remove to a platter and repeat with the remaining batter. Reduce heat if pancakes begin to brown too quickly. Serve with maple syrup and chopped walnuts, if desired.
- Flour: you can use 100% whole wheat flour in place of white whole wheat flour. Just keep in the mind the pancakes will be more dense.
- Butter: butter can be swapped out for melted coconut oil. Use refined coconut oil for less coconut taste.
- Honey: Maple syrup works just as well.
- Apples: sweet variety of apples work the best in this recipe. So Fuji, Gala, Honeycrisp, or Ambrosia are all good options.
- Leftovers: leftover pancakes can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Recipe update 9/24/21: After further testing, we increased the honey amount from 2 tablespoons to 4 and vanilla extract from 1 teaspoon to 1 1/2 teaspoons to balance out the flavor of the wheat flour.
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 15.3 g
- Sodium: 196.1 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.3 g
- Protein: 7.6 g
- Cholesterol: 67.9 mg
Keywords: fall, healthy pancakes, easy, buttermilk pancakes