Today is all about supefoods: avocados, spinach, and quinoa. There is no doubt I’m loving on a lot of quinoa these days. I love everything about it….the lightness, taste, and versatility. It’s a delicious and healthy way to add some protein into your diet, whether you’re a workout buff or not, it will keep you full and satisfied without throwing your eating completely off track. And you can never go wrong with a salad made with avocados.
One of the things I like best about this quinoa salad is that it contains simple ingredients that you may already have on hand: creamy avocado, sweet grape tomatoes, baby spinach leaves, and fresh herbs that are tossed in a Greek vinaigrette along with cooked quinoa. It took me just minutes to make. It’s perfect for meatless lunch or as a side dish.
You can make it ahead, leaving the avocado out, and adding just before ready to serve. I also like it best chilled, so I do recommend chilling the salad for atleast 20-30 minutes before eating (if you can wait that long!).
I’m already looking forward to making this with juicy heirlooms and fresh herbs out my garden. Then serving it up with some grilled chicken or shrimp for a delish summer meal. But who am I kidding?!?! It’s still 9 degrees outside and signs of summer are nowhere to be found, prob for another 4 months! For now, I’ll just eat my healthy salads and rejoice when we’re out of the negatives.
- 3 cups cooked quinoa, cooled*
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh spinach
- ¾ cup halved grape tomatoes
- 2 avocados, pitted and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped basil
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½-1 lemon, juiced**
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, toss all ingredients with the dressing. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before serving. If making the salad ahead, leave the avocado out and add just before serving.
- Whisk all the ingredients together until combined. Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
**start off with juice of ½ lemon and add more according to personal taste
© Little Broken. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission or claim my work as your own. Feel free to Pin, Tweet, Facebook and share away with a link back to the recipe post. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this recipe.