Give mashed potatoes a second chance by sautéing them into golden mashed potato cakes with spinach. All you need is leftover mashed potatoes and a few other ingredients to make this tasty side!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These easy and quick mashed potato cakes are a delicious way to revamp your leftovers into a next-day meal. You only need six ingredients!
Made with leftover mashed potatoes and spinach, these potato cakes are pillowy soft on the inside with a golden outside.
They make an amazing side dish or a light meal topped with fresh sliced cucumber, tomato, sour cream, or green onions.
What Do You Eat Potato Cakes With?
Mashed potato cakes make a great side dish to serve alongside a variety of protein type main dishes, such as:
- Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken
- Cod in Creamy Roasted Pepper Sauce
- Chicken Cacciatore
- Chicken Stroganoff
Ingredients for Potato Cake Recipe
- Leftover mashed potatoes
- Baking powder
How to Make Potato Cakes
In a bowl, combine together the mashed potatoes, spinach, onion, egg, flour, and baking powder. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Heat a large non-stick skillet with little olive oil over medium heat. Add potato mixture by 1/4-cup to a hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
Tips for Mashed Potato Cakes Recipe
- Season the mashed potato cakes well with salt and pepper to punch up the flavor.
- Add just enough flour so the potato cakes stick together. You want them to hold up in the pan and not fall apart.
- Use hot oil for cooking. Before adding the potato cakes to the pan make sure the oil is hot, otherwise, the cakes will soak up a lot of oil and turn out greasy.
- These are best enjoyed immediately. For best flavor and texture, serve the cakes immediately.
More Leftover Recipes to Try
If you try Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes, please leave feedback and a rating.Print
Give mashed potatoes a second chance by sautéing them into golden mashed potato cakes with spinach.
- 3 cups packed leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. grated yellow onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (see note)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, spinach, onion, egg, flour, and baking powder. Season the mixture with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir together with a spoon until combined. The mixture should be thick and wet but not sticky.
- Add just enough olive oil to a large non-stick pan to lightly cover the bottom of the pan. Heat over medium heat. Scoop up about 1/4 of a cup of the potato mixture and drop it into a hot pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly golden brown.
- Serve immediately, while hot and crispy topped with fresh sliced cucumber, tomato, sour cream, or green onions. Or as a side alongside a main dish (see post for ideas.) Makes about 12-13 cakes.
- Flour: Depending on the consistency of your potatoes, you may need a little less or more flour. You want the cakes to stick together and not be too sticky or fall apart.
- Leftovers: Leftover cakes do not hold up well. I recommend serving the cakes immediately.
Keywords: leftovers, thanksgiving, easy, simple