Healthy Pumpkin Bread
Healthy pumpkin bread made with wholesome ingredients. It’s moist, perfectly spiced, and not to mention easy to make.
Pumpkin season is finally here, and a healthy pumpkin bread recipe just might be the best thing to make right now!
This easy pumpkin bread is made with good ingredients such as white whole wheat flour, honey, pumpkin purée, shredded apples, and olive oil.
It’s an easy recipe to throw together for the yummiest sweet treat. Plus, you can easily change up the recipe by adding in some nuts, dried fruit, or even chocolate chips.
What Makes Pumpkin Bread Moist?
The secret to a moist healthy pumpkin bread recipe lies in two ingredients.
First is the grated apples. Use just about any variety of sweet apples, such as Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Pink Lady apples.
Just make sure to peel the apples before grating. The apples are added right into the batter, adding a touch of sweetness and making the bread deliciously tender.
The second ingredient is olive oil. It gives the pumpkin bread rich moistness and depth that mingles perfectly with the honey and pumpkin spices. I recommend high-quality extra-virgin olive oil.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make pumpkin bread:
- white whole wheat flour
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon
- kosher salt
- pumpkin purée
- olive oil
- grated apples
What Kind of Pumpkin to Use in this Recipe
Canned pure pumpkin is the best option because it has great flavor and is quick and easy to use.
You can also make your own homemade pumpkin puree. The flavor is even better than canned pumpkin!
To do this, cut open a small pumpkin, scoop out the seeds, and roast in the oven until it’s cooked all the way through.
Scrape out the flesh into a blender and puree. If it’s too watery, gently simmer it in a saucepot until it thickens.
Don’t use canned pumpkin pie filling. This has added spices and doesn’t produce the flavor we’re looking for in this recipe.
How to Make Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- First, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a large bowl.
- Next, in a separate large bowl with a wooden spoon, mix together the pumpkin puree, olive oil, apples, eggs, and honey. Stir in the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Some lumps are okay.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and, if desired, sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes in a 350-degree F oven or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. It should come out with a couple of cooked crumbles. Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, and then transfer onto a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.
This is the best bread to serve during pumpkin season!
Enjoy it warmed up with a cup of coffee or orange juice for breakfast. Spread with butter, almond butter, peanut butter, pumpkin cream cheese, or marmalade. Or with a scoop of vanilla yogurt.
Extra Tips & Notes
These tips and tricks will help you make the best healthy pumpkin bread recipe.
- Measure correctly. Measure out your dry ingredients correctly. Here’s a great guide that shows you how.
- Use the best-quality olive oil. Use quality extra-virgin olive oil.
- Baking soda NOT baking powder. Use baking soda, not baking powder. They are not the same thing. Make sure your baking soda is not expired.
- Do not overmix! Do not overmix the batter. For best results, follow the instructions below.
- Eggs at room temperature. Let the eggs come to room temperature before using them, so all the ingredients are at the same temperature.
- Cool all the way. Allow the bread to cool completely on a cooling rack before cutting into it.
- Make a double batch. Make an extra loaf to freeze and save for later.
This recipe is adaptable to make into your own. Here are some options you can try depending on your tastes and preferences.
- Use pumpkin pie spice in place of individual spices.
- Use apple sauce instead of shredded apples.
- Replace the shredded apples with almond milk or greek yogurt.
- Add vanilla extract for extra flavor.
- Add nuts, dried fruit, or chocolate chips.
- Turn this bread into pumpkin muffins using a large six-cup muffin tin or a regular 12-cup muffin tray.
How to Store
Refrigerate: Keep the leftover bread in an airtight container on the counter for three days or in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Reheat: The best way to warm up individual slices of bread is to gently heat them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds. They will get hot very quickly, so only heat them for a few seconds.
Freeze: This is the best pumpkin bread to freeze for later. You can make an extra loaf and save it for a day when you’re craving that warm pumpkin spice flavor.
Wrap the loaf in two layers to keep out the freezer burn. You can use a combination of plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or a large freezer bag.
White whole wheat flour is used to make this pumpkin bread, but you can use oat flour, almond flour, coconut flour, or all-purpose flour.
Spray the bread pans with non-stick cooking oil to ensure the bottom doesn’t stick. Alternatively, you can line the pans with parchment paper and pour the batter over the paper. Use a spatula to make sure the corners are filled and the top is even.
You can use any type of apples but Honeycrisp, Fuji, Gala, or Pink Lady are the best.
You can easily add toppings to add crunchy texture or sweetness. Some crunchy options are chopped pecans or walnuts, sliced almonds, or pumpkin seeds. For a sweet option, dust powdered sugar on top or drizzle with a maple glaze.
More Pumpkin Recipes
Craving more pumpkin recipes? Try these sweet and savory recipes!
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Chili Recipe
- Pumpkin Pecan Granola
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
This healthy pumpkin bread recipe is made with good ingredients such as white whole wheat flour, honey, olive oil, and shredded apples. It’s insanely moist and full of delicious pumpkin flavor!
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup peeled + grated apples*
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup honey
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Optional, raw pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 9×5-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, with a wooden spoon, mix together the pumpkin puree, olive oil, apples, eggs, and honey. Stir in the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Some lumps are okay.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and if desired, sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes in the pan and then transfer onto a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Flour: White whole wheat is a type of wheat – it’s light in color and mild tasting, however, it can be hard to find sometimes. All-purpose flour can be used instead.
- Oil: Feel free to use avocado oil or melted coconut oil.
- Apples: You can use just about any variety of sweet apples, such as Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Pink Lady.
- Honey: You can substitute the honey with pure maple syrup, coconut sugar, or brown sugar if you’d prefer.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 23.6 g
- Sodium: 260.2 mg
- Fat: 14.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.6 g
- Protein: 5.4 g
- Cholesterol: 37.2 mg
Keywords: easy, no sugar, fall, thanksgiving
Recipe originally published September 2018