Healthy pumpkin bread made with wholesome ingredients. It’s moist, perfectly spiced, and not to mention easy to make.
Pumpkin season is finally here, and a healthy pumpkin bread recipe just might be the best thing to make right now!
This easy pumpkin bread is made with good ingredients such as white whole wheat flour, honey, pumpkin purée, shredded apples, and olive oil.
It’s an easy recipe to throw together for the yummiest sweet treat. Plus, you can easily change up the recipe by adding in some nuts, dried fruit, or even chocolate chips.
What Makes Pumpkin Bread Moist?
The secret to a moist healthy pumpkin bread recipe lies in two ingredients.
First is the grated apples. Use just about any variety of sweet apples, such as Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Pink Lady apples.
Just make sure to peel the apples before grating. The apples are added right into the batter, adding a touch of sweetness and making the bread deliciously tender.
The second ingredient is olive oil. It gives the pumpkin bread rich moistness and depth that mingles perfectly with the honey and pumpkin spices. I recommend high-quality extra-virgin olive oil.
Ingredients for Healthy Pumpkin Bread
You’ll need the following ingredients to make pumpkin bread:
- white whole wheat flour
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon
- kosher salt
- pumpkin purée
- olive oil
- grated apples
How to Make Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
First, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a large bowl.
Next, in a separate large bowl with a wooden spoon, mix together the pumpkin puree, olive oil, apples, eggs, and honey. Stir in the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Some lumps are okay.
Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and, if desired, sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes in a 350 degree F oven or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, and then transfer onto a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.
Extra Tips & Notes
- Measure out your dry ingredients correctly. Here’s a great guide that shows you how.
- Use quality extra-virgin olive oil.
- Make sure your baking soda is not expired. And use baking soda, not baking powder. They are not the same thing.
- Change it up. Add nuts, dried fruit, or chocolate chips.
- Do not overmix the batter. For best results, follow the instructions below.
More Pumpkin Recipes to Try
Craving more pumpkin recipes? Try these sweet and savory recipes!
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Chili Recipe
- Pumpkin Pecan Granola
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Pumpkin Bars
This healthy pumpkin bread recipe is made with good ingredients such as white whole wheat flour, honey, olive oil, and shredded apples. It’s insanely moist and full of delicious pumpkin flavor!
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup peeled + grated apples*
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup honey
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Optional, raw pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 9×5-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, with a wooden spoon, mix together the pumpkin puree, olive oil, apples, eggs, and honey. Stir in the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Some lumps are okay.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and if desired, sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes in the pan and then transfer onto a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.
- You can use just about any variety of sweet apples, such as Honeycrisp, Fuji, or Pink Lady.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 23.6 g
- Sodium: 260.2 mg
- Fat: 14.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.6 g
- Protein: 5.4 g
- Cholesterol: 37.2 mg
Keywords: easy, no sugar, fall, thanksgiving