Chicken Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Corn and Cheese
Chicken stuffed portobello mushrooms with corn and cheese are SO easy to put together with either leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
Quick and easy meals are a definite favorite in our household. Especially ones that reheat well and are loaded with a good balance of protein and veggies. These stuffed portobello mushrooms are exactly that.
They take hardly any time to prep. First, the mushrooms are roasted until tender and then stuffed with chicken, corn, tomatoes, green onions, and cheese mixture.
They are baked until the cheese is melted and served with tex-mex toppings, such as avocado, cilantro, and sour cream.
What makes these stuffed portobello mushrooms so amazing is that they come together with the most basic ingredients.
- Chicken – no need to cook anything from scratch, simply use rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken. You can shred or dice the chicken.
- Veggies – corn and tomatoes. Use frozen corn from the bag. There is no need to thaw it out. It will cook in the oven with the rest of the filling.
- Cheese – creamy Jarlsberg and salty feta are so good paired together in these mushroom caps. Jarlsberg cheese is mild and melts so nicely!
How to Make Chicken Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Step 1: First roast the mushroom caps. Rub them with little olive oil all over and season the inside with salt and pepper. Roast stem side up for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
After you take them out of the oven, there’s most likely going to be moisture inside the caps. You want to drain it or take a few paper towels and gently blot it.
- Step 2: While the portobello mushroom caps are roasting, make the filling. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, corn, tomatoes, onions, cheeses, and spices. Don’t forget to season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Step 3: Spoon the chicken mixture inside the mushroom caps, being generous with the filling. You should be able to use up all of the filling between four large portobello caps. Top with more cheese and bake until cheese is melted about 10-15 minutes.
- Step 4: Serve immediately with avocado, cilantro, and sour cream.
Serve these portobello caps with a veggie soup, meatless pasta, or a light salad. Here are some options:
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh
- Pesto Pasta or Penne Vodka Sauce
- Easy Salad Pizza
More Stuffed Veggie Recipes
- Chicken Stuffed Zucchini
- Spaghetti Squash with Garlic Cheese
- Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- Tex-Mex Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Sausage and Rice Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed portobello mushrooms with chicken, corn, and plenty of cheese. These are SO easy to put together with either leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Jarlsberg cheese, shredded + divided
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- To serve: cilantro, avocado, sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and use a spoon to scrape out the gills. Arrange mushroom caps on a baking sheet stem side up.
- Rub the entire mushroom cap with olive oil and season the inside with salt and pepper. Bake 15-20 minutes or until tender. If any moisture collects in the mushroom caps, carefully blot it with few sheets of paper towels or drain it.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 425 degrees F. Combine the chicken, corn, tomatoes, onions, 1 cup of Jarlsberg cheese, feta cheese, garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon generous amount of chicken mixture into the mushroom caps, top with remaining shredded Jarlsberg cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with cilantro, avocado, and sour cream.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 208.3 mg
- Fat: 24.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.6 g
- Protein: 24.3 g
- Cholesterol: 72.3 mg
Keywords: easy, summer, rotisserie chicken, stuffed