Hearty Italian sausage and kale soup with Italian sausage, green beans, corn, and kale. It’s the coziest soup to serve with crusty bread!
Just like our Sicilian Chicken Soup, this sausage kale soup packs plenty of veggies and comes together really easily.
Sausage and Kale Soup
Soup season is the best season in my opinion. And this Italian sausage and kale soup is everything you crave in a hearty soup.
It’s made with simple ingredients like Italian sausage, green beans, kale, and corn. You can use any type of small-shaped pasta but my favorite is always ditalini.
What makes this soup so awesome is ALL the flavor, not only from the Italian sausage but also seasoned salt, celery salt, garlic powder, bay leaves, and Worcestershire sauce.
Despite the number of ingredients, this soup recipe is made in four easy steps.
Ingredients for Sausage and Kale Soup Recipe
- Italian sausage
- Vegetables – onions, carrots, celery, fresh green beans, kale, and frozen corn
- Canned tomatoes
- Spices – seasoned salt, celery salt, garlic powder, and bay leaves
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chicken broth
Can I Use This for That?
I get it sometimes it’s convenient to make substitutions to a recipe to better suit your diet or to simply use what you have on hand. This sausage and kale soup recipe is very adaptable with the following substitutions:
- Sausage – I like mild and/or sweet sausage in this soup but spicy sausage works too. For leaner protein, use turkey Italian sausage.
- Vegetables – spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, russet potatoes, peas, zucchini are all great additions to the soup.
- Chicken stock – whether you use homemade stock or from the store, just make sure it’s good-quality stock.
- Pasta – I like small shaped pasta in this soup, such as ditalini but orzo, macaroni, or small shell pasta work too.
- Few More Things – for more flavor add some fresh herbs, such as thyme. Also fire-roasted tomatoes instead of plain tomatoes will give the soup some smokiness. For more protein, add a can of cannellini beans.
How to Make Sausage and Kale Soup
Step 1: Heat a large dutch or a large pot oven with olive oil over medium-high heat, add sausage and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add onions, carrots, and celery, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. If the veggies begin to burn, reduce the heat.
Step 3: Add tomatoes, season salt, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, garlic powder, bay leaves, green beans, chicken stock, and water. Bring to a simmer.
Add pasta, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Taste the soup for salt before adding kale and corn.
Step 4: Stir in kale and corn, and continue to simmer for additional 10 minutes or until kale is wilted and vegetables are tender. Stir in parsley.
Best Way to Store Leftover Soup
This soup tastes better the longer it sits! So make a double batch to enjoy now and freeze for later.
Leftover soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. Anything beyond that can be frozen for up to 3 months. I love these containers for freezing soup.
Thaw out the soup in the refrigerator overnight and reheat it on the stovetop or the microwave.
More Recipes with Italian Sausage
Italian sausage makes the quickest meals! Here are more recipes with Italian sausage to try:
- Cauliflower Sausage Kale Soup
- Turkey Lasagna
- Chicken Mushroom Spinach Pasta
- Sheet Pan Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Sausage Zucchini Soup
Hearty sausage and kale soup with Italian sausage, green beans, corn, and kale. It’s the perfect and easy soup to cozy up to!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. seasoned salt
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. celery salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped fresh green beans
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup small shaped pasta, such as ditalini
- 2 cups roughly chopped curly kale (leaves only), lightly packed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- In a large dutch-oven, heat oil over medium-high heat, add sausage and cook, crumbling until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, garlic powder, bay leaves, green beans, chicken stock, and water and bring to a simmer. Add pasta, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Taste the soup for salt before adding kale and corn.
- Stir in kale and corn, and simmer for additional 10 minutes or until kale is wilted and the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
Keywords: sausage kale soup, italian sausage soup, kale soup, italian sausage soup