This easy and healthy, cilantro basil marinated shrimp is served over rice with a side of sweet and spicy mango avocado salsa.
With endless warm days just around the corner this tropical cilantro basil shrimp with mango salsa is the perfect meal to make! It has a nice punch of flavor from all the fresh herbs, fresh mango, and creamy avocado. It all starts with a quick shrimp marinade that you can whip up in your food processor in 5 minutes or less. And while the shrimp is marinating you can prepare your salsa. You want to let the salsa rest at room temperature for 10 minutes or so before serving. That way the juices and flavors have time to blend together. If you’re feeling fancy, serve the shrimp over coconut cilantro rice (you wont regret it!), otherwise, use your favorite rice or even quinoa.
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, packed
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 green onion, roughly chopped (green + white parts)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs. large shrimp (I used 31/40), deveined and peeled
- cooked rice, for serving
- 2 ripe mangoes, diced
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 scallions, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2–4 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a bowl of a food processor, combine cilantro, basil, green onions, garlic, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Pulse until the mixture is smooth.
- Place the shrimp into a large ziploc bag and pour the marinade, tossing to coat. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes. While shrimp is marinating, prepare your salsa.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium/high heat. When pan is hot, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and swirl to coat. Add shrimp to the pan (I used tongs to remove the shrimp from the bag) and sauté for about 3 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
- Serve over cooked rice with side of mango salsa.
- In a medium bowl, combine mangoes, avocado, red bell pepper, scallions, cilantro, and jalapeño. Drizzle with lime juice, season with salt and pepper, and mix well. Let stand at room temperature for about 10 minutes before serving.