These oatmeal breakfast bars are everything you crave in a hearty breakfast. Packed with bananas, pineapple, oatmeal and two different types of flours making them somewhat healthy. Somewhat counts, right? I’m trying to get back on track with my eating….slowly. These last two months have been great but I’m glad they’re over. Honestly. January is going to be more salads, chicken, and seafood. So stay tuned for that…
Today, I’m starting with these delicious oatmeal bars. I’m normally an egg white type of breakfast person but lately I’ve been all over oatmeal and these bars are all about oatmeal, as well as bananas and pineapple. It’s a good way to use up those bananas on the verge of going bad. The rest of the ingredients are simple and probably already stocked in your pantry.
You can serve these for a “guilt free” breakfast or as a dessert or even snack. Either way your choose, is good. Super moist, chunky, and packed with that sweet pineapple flavor. I drizzled the bars with a simple glaze but you can omit the glaze and add a sprinkle of confectioners sugar instead. Enjoy!
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 (8 oz.) cans crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3 ripe bananas, chopped
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly coat 9X13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine eggs, brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Combine oats, both flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add egg mixture to flour and stir until moistened (do not over mix).
- Fold in pineapple and bananas. Pour into the prepare pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake in the pan to a wire rack to cool. Once completely cool, cut into squares and drizzle with glaze.
- Combine powdered sugar with lemon juice until smooth.
adapted from Dole