Healthier and faster take on the classic chicken parmesan! Lightly breaded chicken breast, topped with marinara sauce and just the perfect amount of mozzarella cheese, and then baked until tender crisp. It’s THE perfect cozy weeknight meal.
Well, I gave you guys a teaser on IG and here it is: baked chicken parmesan. It might not be the most festive dish right now in the middle of the cookie baking season but I promise you it’s a practical weeknight meal that you can whip up in no time. I’ve been playing around with this recipe for quite some time now but could never get the perfect texture. It was either too chewy or too crispy as in dry.
However a simple step of pounding the chicken breast to even thickness and baking in the right oven temperature makes a whole lot of difference. The rest of the recipe is quite simple. Lightly breaded chicken breast, baked, and then topped with store-bought marinara sauce and cheese. It comes out insanely tender and all you need is a simple house salad to make this a complete dinner meal.
- 2¼ pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 3)
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. kosher salt, plus more to season chicken
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- ½ - ¾ cup jarred marinara sauce
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- fresh black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice chicken breasts crosswise to form six portions, about 5 - 8 ounces each. Then pound the chicken to even thickness, about ½-inch thick. Season both sides with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs with oregano, garlic powder, paprika, and ½ teaspoon salt. In another bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. To another shallow bowl, add the flour.
- One at a time, dip each chicken breast portion in the flour, shaking off the excess, then dip into the milk mixture, and lastly the bread crumbs. Place the breaded chicken on the prepared sheet pan.
- Brush the chicken with melted butter and bake for 15 minutes or until almost cooked through. The coating should be crisp and slightly golden brown.
- Top chicken with marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Bake for additional 10 minutes or until the cheeses are melted and chicken is cooked through.