Made with fresh tomatoes, milk, and neufchatel cheese. This fresh tomato cream sauce is tossed with hot penne for an easy, light, and meatless meal.
I love pasta meals because they are so quick to throw together. This penne with fresh tomato cream sauce is just that! Ready to go in about 30 minutes with simple ingredients. Made with wholesome milk, neufchatel cheese, spices, fresh tomatoes, and spinach. It’s creamy with a slight kick from the spices. Fresh tomatoes and spinach add the perfect amount of balance to the creaminess in this dish. I personally love penne but you can use your favorite pasta. Pair it with a huge caesar salad and you have yourself one effortless meatless meal!
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. fresh tomatoes (about 3 large), chopped
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 oz. Neufchatel cheese (1/3 less fat cream cheese), cubed
- 3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, lightly packed
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- 8 oz. penne pasta, uncooked
- kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium/high heat. Add garlic, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and basil. Cook for about 3 minutes until the tomatoes have softened and some of the liquid has reduced.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute longer. Reduce heat to medium and gradually whisk in the milk. Let simmer 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in cream cheese and parmesan until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add spinach and stir until wilted, and then, add the parsley.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and add to the sauce. Serve immediately.