Heirloom tomato salad with sweet ripe tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, and onions. This is the best summer salad!
It pairs amazingly with so many main dishes, including our Balsamic Grilled Chicken.
Heirloom Tomato Salad
Summer tomatoes are the best. Especially if you get your hands on homegrown tomatoes or tomatoes from your local farmers market. I grew up eating a tomato and cucumber salad tossed in little sunflower oil that my mom made every summer with homegrown tomatoes from our garden. It was a family favorite every time.
I’ve tweaked the recipe over the years and today I’m sharing my own version of this salad. It consists of summer tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, red onions, and cilantro. It couldn’t be any simpler to make. Plus it goes with just about any meal.
Or you can simply enjoy a big bowl of this salad with a side of crusty bread. It’s the best!
Best Tomatoes for a Salad
The majority of this heirloom salad is made up of heirloom tomatoes. You can find them at supermarkets and farmer’s markets during the summer months. They’re insanely delicious and juicy.
Also called heritage tomatoes, they are open-pollinated, non-hybrid heirloom cultivar of tomato. Known for their superior flavor, texture, and uniqueness varying in size and color. They’re quite juicy and can range from sweet-tart to deeply complex and sweet.
Heirloom tomatoes taste the best at room temperature.
Ingredients for Heirloom Tomato Salad
- Heirloom tomatoes
- Red onion
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
Heirloom Tomato Salad Recipe
Making heirloom tomato salad is very easy. You want to thinly slice the cucumber and red onions. I like to dice the avocado but you can slice it into small chunks. For the heirloom tomatoes, since they’re usually pretty big in size, I like to cut them into thin wedges.
- To a large salad bowl, add the tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, red onions, and cilantro.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine. Serve immediately.
This salad goes with just about anything and everything. Here are some favorite main dishes that go well with heirloom salad:
- Lemon Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
- Chicken with Zucchini and Corn
- Grilled Salmon Burgers
- Creamy Corn Pasta with Shrimp
- Spicy Honey Chicken and Sweet Potato Kebabs
- Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Bake
More Heirloom Tomato Recipes
- Open-Faced Heirloom Tomato Sandwiches
- Heirloom Tomato and Zucchini Galette from Half Baked Harvest
- Heirloom Tomato, Avocado and Burrata Salad from How Sweet Eats
- Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta from The View from Great Island
If you try Heirloom Tomato Salad, don’t forget to leave feedback and a rating.Print
Juicy heirloom tomatoes tossed with cucumbers, avocado, onions, and cilantro. This is the best summer salad to make!
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe heirloom tomatoes, about 2 large, cut into thin wedges
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 large ripe avocado, chopped
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Add the tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, red onions, and cilantro to a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss to combine. Serve immediately.
- For best flavor, do not store tomatoes in the refrigerator. Instead, keep them on your counter at room temperature.
Keywords: summer, fresh, bbq, easy, healthy