Tender healthy kale greens with roasted butternut squash and crisp tart apples. Tossed with salty feta and roasted pecans in a zingy 4-ingredient maple vinaigrette. It’s a delicious fall salad with simple ingredients that takes hardly any time to make. You will want to mark this one for Thanksgiving dinner!
There’s no doubt I’m on butternut squash kick! I’m loving this winter squash more so than ever this year. Maybe because of its sweet, nutty taste that goes so well in so many dishes. I’ve been roasting + pureeing it for my 6 month old, serving it as a side and currently working on butternut squash potstickers. Fingers crossed…I will post that recipe soon.
I don’t know what it is but I’m pretty obsessed with it. It’s pretty versatile and tastes amazing when roasted with olive oil, salt + pepper. It reminds of a sweet potato just without whole lot of sweetness.
This recipe is inspired by Butternut Squash and Cranberry Quinoa Salad that I shared last year. I received such good feedback from you guys so I wanted to create something with roasted butternut squash again. This rustic, cold-weather kale salad, with cubes of roasted butternut squash, tart apples, red onion, kale, feta and toasted pecans in a zesty yet slightly sweet maple vinaigrette is so simple but also so festive for the upcoming holidays.
There’s no special tools or techniques involved. All you do is roast some butternut squash and toss it with the rest of the ingredients. You can prepare the squash days in advance and keep covered in the refrigerator. The Maple Vinaigrette is only four pantry staple ingredients that can be whisked together just before serving.
It’s crunchy, crispy and slight creamy sweet. Make this for your holiday table. It will taste good and feel good to eat it 🙂
- 8 cups chopped kale leaves
- ½ large apple (such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady), cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup cubed + roasted butternut squash*, cooled
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped pecans, roasted
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, toss kale leaves with half of the Maple Vinaigrette.
- Arrange apples, butternut squash, red onion, feta, and pecans on top of the kale leaves. Drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 4-5 (1 cup serving)
- Whisk all the ingredients in a small bowl until combined. Season with salt and pepper as needed
© Little Broken. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission or claim my work as your own. Feel free to Pin, Tweet, Facebook and share away with a link back to the recipe post. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this recipe.