Chopped autumn salad with bacon, apple, cranberries, feta, and pumpkin seeds. Tossed in a simple, yet flavorful honey apple cider dressing. It’s crunchy, salty-sweet, and loaded with flavor!
The Best Autumn Salad
In my opinion, Thanksgiving is all about the sides and this chopped autumn salad is the perfect green salad to add to your holiday table.
It’s loaded with crispy bacon, sweet-tart Honeycrisp apple, sweet cranberries, salty feta, and toasted pumpkin seeds. Served on a bed of fresh romaine lettuce and tossed in a tangy-sweet honey apple cider dressing.
But don’t wait to make this for holidays, enjoy this autumn salad alongside your favorite entree or top it with a lean protein, such as grilled chicken tenders for a satisfying dinner salad.
Ingredients (Plus Substitutions) for Chopped Autumn Salad
- Romaine lettuce: Save on prep time and pick up a bag of pre-chopped romaine lettuce.
- Bacon: Cook bacon in the oven at 400F for about 20 minutes for easy clean up.
- Apple: Any type of sweet-tart variety of apples will work, such as Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, or Gala.
- Dried cranberries: Dried tart cherries is a great substitute.
- Red onion: Shallots are milder in taste and make a great substitute in this salad.
- Feta cheese: Do not skip feta! It adds the perfect salty component to the salad. Not a fan of feta? Try goat cheese instead.
- Pumpkin seeds: Buy toasted pumpkin seeds to save on prep time. Can’t find pumpkin seeds? Try sunflower seeds or pine nuts.
- Olive oil: I’ve made this salad with avocado oil as well and it works perfectly every single time.
- Apple cider vinegar: Red wine vinegar would be the best substitute.
- Honey: Or pure maple syrup.
- Dijon mustard: Stone-ground mustard is a good substitute. Yellow mustard is the next best substitute.
How to Make Chopped Autumn Salad
This autumn salad comes together in a cinch. Have all of the ingredients prepared so that way all you have to do is toss and serve.
Make the apple cider dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Assemble the salad: In a large salad and/or serving bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, bacon, apples, cranberries, red onion, feta cheese, and pumpkin seeds. Add the dressing and toss to combine. Taste for salt and pepper before serving.
To Prepare in Advance
Prepare as written but do not add the apples or toss with the salad dressing. Store the salad and dressing in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Chop and add the apple to the salad, and then toss with dressing just before serving.
You can also serve the salad alongside your favorite dinner entrees. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Tex-Mex Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Easy Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Ground Turkey Stroganoff
- Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken
- Chicken and Quinoa in Mustard Sauce
More Fall Salad Recipes
- Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad
- Avocado and Brussels Sprout Salad
- Kale Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
- Roasted Pear Salad
- Apple Crunch Salad
Chopped autumn salad with bacon, apple, cranberries, feta, and pumpkin seeds. Tossed in a simple, yet flavorful honey apple cider dressing. It’s crunchy, salty sweet, and loaded with flavor!
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 4–5 strips cooked bacon
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cored and medium chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 4 Tbsp. toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1–2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients. Pour dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Taste for salt and pepper before serving.
- Substitutions: See post for ingredient substitutions.
- Make Ahead: Prepare as written but do not add the apples or toss with the salad dressing. Store the salad and dressing in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Chop and add the apple to the salad, and then toss with dressing just before serving.
Keywords: autumn salad with apples, fall harvest salad, fall apple salad, autumn salad dressing