Carb-conscious cucumber rolls ups with creamy avocado-hummus, honey ham, provolone cheese, cilantro, and baby spinach. These roll ups have protein and make a nutritious snack or light meal. So addictive and good!
Cucumber roll ups are one of those things that once you have one, you won’t be able to stop. I am so addicted to these! We love them as a light meal or snack. They have the crunch, creaminess, and protein to keep you completely satisfied. Made with cucumbers, avocado-hummus spread, wholesome honey ham, provolone, and finished off with cilantro and leafy baby spinach.
It’s basically a sandwich minus the bread. And honestly, I’m not complaining – light and veggie-loaded meals are my jam. These roll ups are fairly easy to put together. They actually remind me of a sushi roll. You need a mandoline slicer or a really good vegetable peeler. You want to slice your cucumber into almost paper thin strips. You don’t want them ripping but at the same time you want pretty thin. That way rolling will be a breeze.
Then to add flavor a layer of avocado-hummus spread goes on top of the cucumbers. It’s simply an avocado, store bought hummus, garlic, and lime juice mashed together. So yummy! Next up: a layer of honey ham and provolone cheese. I’m using Honey Deli Ham. I love it because it’s 100% natural* and made with no added preservatives*. You can find it at most grocery stores. The roll ups are then finished off with a layer of fresh cilantro and baby spinach.
You want to go light on your toppings, otherwise, your roll ups will be too big and will fall apart. I did include the amounts for the ingredients but they are very forgiving and you can play around with whatever works for you.
These roll ups make a perfect light lunch, after school snack, or you can serve them as an appetizer.
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted
- 2 Tbsp. plain hummus
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1–2 seedless cucumbers, ends removed
- 6–8 slices HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Honey Deli Ham
- 6 slices deli provolone cheese
- fresh chopped cilantro
- fresh baby spinach leaves
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado flesh with a fork. To the avocado, add hummus, garlic, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Mix until well blended.
- With a mandoline slicer*, slice the cucumber into thin strips. I was able to get about 10 strips out of one medium size cucumber. First couple or so strips were too small to use so I tossed those for a salad. You may have little less or more strips depending on the size of cucumber.
- Place 5 cucumber strips next to each other, on a paper lined flat surface, such as a cutting board, and using a clean paper towel, blot some of the moisture on top.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of the avocado-hummus evenly over the slices. Then add 3-4 slices of ham, 3 slices of provolone cheese, light layer of cilantro leaves, and light layer of baby spinach.
- Starting at one end, tightly roll all of the cucumber slices into one long “sushi” roll.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into individual servings. Secure with a toothpick and place on a serving platter. Repeat with the remaining cucumber strips.
- These are best when served same day. I was able to get about 10 roll-ups out of one cucumber.
*I found that a mandoline slicer works better for slicing cucumbers vs. a vegetable peeler. But depending on the size of your vegetable peeler you may be able to use it. Mine is on a smaller size and I could not slice the cucumber without tearing halfway.