Chicken spinach lasagna is a new twist on traditional lasagna that will keep you coming back for more! Made with shredded chicken, mushrooms, spinach, no-boil lasagna noodles, and delicious milk-based sauce.
It’s creamy, yet light and does not taste like you’re eating loads of noodles. Pair it with your favorite house salad tossed in a Greek Dressing for a well-balanced meal.
A Lighter White Lasagna
Anytime I get an excuse to add more veggies into my meals…I’m all there! And this chicken spinach lasagna is nothing short of veggies.
It’s made with fresh white mushrooms, fresh baby spinach, and shredded cooked chicken. You can use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
I took a lighter approach to the sauce and used chicken broth as my base with some milk and then flavored it with nutmeg and Parmesan. So it is not overly heavy.
Everything is layered into a square baking dish with no-boil lasagna noodles. No-boil noodles are thinner than regular noodles and absorb flavor so much better. So the finished lasagna is delicate and does not feel so “heavy” as in you’re eating loads of noodles.
Ingredients for Chicken Spinach Lasagna
To make chicken mushroom spinach lasagna, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- olive oil
- white onion
- spices – basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, nutmeg
- baby spinach
- shredded chicken
- chicken stock
- all-purpose flour
- Parmesan cheese
- no-boil lasagna noodles
- mozzarella cheese
How to Make Chicken and Spinach Lasagna
Make the Chicken Filling: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook onions, garlic, mushrooms, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and cook until mushrooms have softened and all of the liquid has evaporated.
Stir in spinach and cook until wilted. Off heat, stir in cooked chicken, and set it aside.
Make the White Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the broth, milk, nutmeg, and salt. Bring to a gentle simmer and then gradually whisk in the flour. Simmer until thickened, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in Parmesan and immediately remove off heat.
Assemble and Bake: Pour half of the white sauce onto a bottom of a baking dish, top with 2 noodles, 1 cup of chicken mixture, 1 cup sauce, and 1/4 cup of mozzarella. Repeat 3 more layers with noodles, chicken, sauce, and cheese.
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes longer. Rest for 5-8 minutes before serving.
More Chicken Recipes You Might Like:
- One-Pan Chicken with Zucchini and Corn
- One-Pan Balsamic Chicken
- Chicken Stroganoff
- One-Pot Chicken Stew
Video: Watch How to Make It!Print
Chicken mushroom and spinach lasagna made with shredded chicken, mushrooms, spinach, no-boil lasagna noodles, and delicious milk based sauce. It’s creamy, yet light and does not taste like you’re eating loads of noodles.
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 (6 oz.) bag fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk, whole or 2%
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil and then the onions, garlic, mushrooms, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms soften while stirring occasionally. Make sure all of the liquid has evaporated from the mushrooms before going to step 3.
- Stir in spinach and cook until the spinach wilts. Then remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cooked chicken. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the chicken broth, milk, nutmeg, and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat. Once the mixture starts to bubble up around the edges, gradually whisk in the flour and let simmer until thickened, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese and then remove from heat.
- Pour 1/2 cup sauce into bottom of 10X10 square baking dish, top with 2 noodles, 1 cup chicken mixture, 1 cup sauce, and 1/4 cup mozzarella, making sure noodles are covered with sauce. You can even press them down lightly. Repeat 3 more layers with noodles, chicken, sauce, and cheese. Last layer will have slightly more sauce and remaining cheese on top.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes longer. If desired, broil for 2-3 minutes for golden brown top. Let stand 5-8 minutes before serving.
- Sauce: If the sauce is not thickening, simmer for 3-4 minutes longer. Just make sure to keep on whisking so it does not get stuck to the bottom of your saucepan. You can also whisk in an additional 1 Tablespoon of flour to thicken the sauce further but I usually find that if you let the sauce cook a little longer it thickens on its own. Also keep in mind, once you stir in the Parmesan it will thicken the sauce even more.
- 9 X 13 Pan: If desired, you can bake the lasagna in a 9X13 pan, however, I would recommend that you double up the recipe, otherwise, the lasagna will not be as thick. Bake time will be around the same time.
Keywords: comfort food, white lasagna, no boil noodles, easy