Chicken mushroom and spinach lasagna made with shredded chicken, mushrooms, spinach, no-boil lasagna noodles, and delicious milk based sauce. It’s creamy, yet light and does not taste like you’re eating loads of noodles.
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 (6 oz.) bag fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 no-boil (oven-ready) lasagna noodles
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil and then the onions, garlic, mushrooms, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms soften while stirring occasionally. Make sure all of the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated before moving to step 3.
- Stir in spinach; cook until wilted and all of its moisture has evaporated. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cooked chicken. Set it aside.
- In a small bowl make a slurry by whisking together 1/2 cup chicken stock with flour. It should be thick milky consistency. Set it aside. In a small saucepan, combine the remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, milk, nutmeg, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat, stirring occassionally. Once the mixture starts to bubble up around the edges, add the slurry while whisking nonstop. Simmer until thickened, about 5-8 minute, whisking occassionally. Stir in Parmesan cheese and then remove from heat.
- Pour 1/2 cup sauce into bottom of 10X10 square baking dish, top with 2 noodles, 1 cup chicken mixture, 1 cup sauce, and 1/4 cup mozzarella, making sure noodles are covered with sauce. You can even press them down lightly. Repeat 3 more layers with noodles, chicken, sauce, and cheese. Last layer will have slightly more sauce and remaining cheese on top.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes longer. If desired, broil for 2-3 minutes for golden brown top. Let stand 15-20 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Recipe Update 12/3/21: This recipe has been retested and updated to reflect some of the comments/feedback since originally published on 4/21/17. Here are the changes that I’ve made: Reduced the salt by 1/4 teaspoon. Reduced the chicken stock by 1/2 cup and increased the milk by 1/2 cup as many of you mentioned that the sauce was not thickening for you. I’ve retested the sauce many times and it does thicken. Make sure to use whole milk. Also, I changed the method of how the flour is added to the milk mixture as many of you had trouble getting the flour lumps out of the sauce. So now instead of whisking the flour directly into all of the milk and stock, you can make a slurry with flour and some of the stock and add to simmering milk. Please note the step-by-step pictures still reflect the old method.
- Common Questions: I included common questions and answers in the body of the post. If there is a question that I missed, please feel free to ask in the comments below.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 328
- Sugar: 5.6 g
- Sodium: 812.7 mg
- Fat: 10.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.5 g
- Protein: 24.4 g
- Cholesterol: 39 mg
Keywords: comfort food, white lasagna, no boil noodles, easy