Chicken mushroom and spinach lasagna made with shredded chicken, mushrooms, spinach, no-boil lasagna noodles, and delicious milk based sauce. It’s creamy, yet light and does not taste like you’re eating loads of noodles.
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 (6 oz.) bag fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used whole milk)
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil and then the onions, garlic, mushrooms, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms soften while stirring occasionally. Make sure all of the liquid has evaporated from the mushrooms before going to step 3.
- Stir in spinach and cook until the spinach wilts. Then remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cooked chicken. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the chicken broth, milk, nutmeg, and remaining 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat. Once the mixture starts to bubble up around the edges, gradually whisk in the flour and let simmer until thickened, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese and then remove from heat.
- Pour 1/2 cup sauce into bottom of 10X10 square baking dish, top with 2 noodles, 1 cup chicken mixture, 1 cup sauce, and 1/4 cup mozzarella, making sure noodles are covered with sauce. You can even press them down lightly. Repeat 3 more layers with noodles, chicken, sauce, and cheese. Last layer will have slightly more sauce and remaining cheese on top.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes longer. If desired, broil for 2-3 minutes for golden brown top. Let stand 5-8 minutes before serving.
- Sauce: If the sauce is not thickening, simmer for 3-4 minutes longer. Just make sure to keep on whisking so it does not get stuck to the bottom of your saucepan. You can also whisk in an additional 1 Tablespoon of flour to thicken the sauce further but I usually find that if you let the sauce cook a little longer it thickens on its own. Also keep in mind, once you stir in the Parmesan it will thicken the sauce even more.
- 9 X 13 Pan: If desired, you can bake the lasagna in a 9X13 pan, however, I would recommend that you double up the recipe, otherwise, the lasagna will not be as thick. Bake time will be around the same time.
Keywords: comfort food, white lasagna, no boil noodles, easy