Few months ago I picked up Organic Fresh Tomato Salsa at Costco and it totally changed my salsa makin’ life! It’s the best tasting salsa EVER. I mean, I’ve had my share of salsas but this stuff does not compare to anything else. I don’t know if it’s the extra veggies in the mix or what but something about it that is uncontrollably good. It’s the perfect combination of fresh, zesty, with touch of heat and ton of cilantro. Pair it with your favorite bag of tortilla chips and you have one of easiest and freshest appetizers of the summer!
So, of course, when you eat something that good, you make it at home and eat it forever. Exactly what I did.
Pico de gallo, salsa fresca, or fresh salsa…whatever you call it but with just few minutes of chopping, stirring, and it’s ready to go. There are a million variations of fresh salsas but my favorite is like this: I started off with a base of tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and garlic. Then added green and red bell peppers and cucumber. All veggies super finely chopped and tossed in fresh lime juice. The longer the salsa sits the stronger the flavor intensifies. So you can make this the night before and keep chilled until serving.
Not only is it delish with tortilla chips but also over scrambled eggs, chicken, fish, grilled veggies, tacos, burrito bowls, mixed into cooked quinoa or beans. Plus now is the time to make this stuff! Homegrown, ripest tomatoes are the best here but if you’re like us and still recovering from cold winter and non-existent spring and homegrown tomatoes are still couple months away, then use any other sort of juicy tomatoes that you can get your hands on.
Let me know how you guys like this salsa in the comments below! Tag me @littlebrokenblog and follow me showing me your food creations, whether from LittleBroken.com or your own Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest.
- ⅓ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- ⅓ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ⅓ cup finely chopped hothouse cucumber
- 2½ cups chopped tomatoes on the vine
- ⅓ cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ fresh jalepenos*, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for atleast 30 minutes up to overnight before serving.