Healthier take on the beloved onion dip! This healthy french onion dip is made with creamy Greek yogurt, caramelized shallots, and chives.
Greek Yogurt Onion Dip
Greek yogurt French onion dip is a healthier take on the popular onion dip. It’s made with Greek yogurt, caramelized shallots, and fresh chives.
The shallots are slow-cooked with a splash of balsamic vinegar until they are golden and caramelized for a sweet and rich flavor. They are definitely a staple in this recipe and add incredible flavor to the dip.
Ingredients for Greek Yogurt Onion Dip
Here’s what you need for this recipe:
- Balsamic vinegar
- Greek yogurt, whole milk or 2%
You’ll also need few pantry staples, such as olive oil and kosher salt.
How to Make Greek Yogurt Onion Dip
In a skillet over medium heat, cook the shallots with salt, water, and balsamic vinegar until caramelized.
In a bowl, combine the caramelized shallots, Greek yogurt, milk, and chives. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
What Goes Well with Onion Dip?
- Raw vegetables
- Pita chips
- Pretzel crisps
- Parmesan crisps
Leftover onion dip will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days when stored in an airtight container. I do not recommend freezing this dip as it will turn grainy when it thaws out.Print
Healthier take on the beloved onion dip! Made with creamy Greek yogurt, caramelized shallots, and chives. This onion dip can be served with fresh vegetables, pita bread, or crackers.
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped shallots, about 2 large
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, whole milk or 2%
- 1/4 cup milk (I used whole milk)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped chives
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- To serve: raw vegetables, pita bread, pretzels, crackers
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add water and vinegar. Reduce heat to low and cook for 12-15 minutes or until the shallots are browned and caramelized, stirring occasionally. All of the water should have reduced at this point.
- In a mixing bowl combine cooked shallots, Greek yogurt, milk, chives, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Season with black pepper, to taste. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes. It will thicken as it chills. Taste for salt and pepper before serving.
- Greek yogurt: I recommend using whole milk yogurt if possible. Chobani and Fage both make whole milk Greek yogurt. If you can’t find whole milk yogurt then a 2% can be used instead. I do not recommend non-fat yogurt because the dip will not be as creamy and thick.
- Leftovers: Leftover dip can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Keywords: summer, easy, finger food, entertaining