Tis’ the season for soups! I’m on a soup bandwagon this week.
Last week it was all about salads but today I’m switching things up and thanking Whole Foods for that!
I’ve been making weekly trips to WF so I can just have their lentil soup/chili. It’s seriously one of the best soups I’ve had and I’m determined to replicate it soon….hopefully.
Sad part is they change up their menu every day so I can’t remember which day they have what soup but because of that I’ve tried pretty much every soup on their menu. It also inspired me to pull out my trusty soup recipes that I’ve been making for years but kinda forgot about.
Thing is we have soup all the time at the house. It’s kind of a staple in the fridge all year long. Probably because I pretty much grew up on soup and love soups of all kind but most days, my go to is chicken noodle.
I make different versions of it. Sometimes I’ll play around with noodles, sometimes I’ll add potatoes instead of noodles or switch up the veggies.
It’s quick, simple and favored by everybody in the house. So all other soup possibilities get the boot…just because this one is no brainer.
Chunky White Bean soup is another favorite that I’ve been making for many years now in different versions. It’s definitely a cold day type of soup. Very chunky, hearty and just a meal on its own.
It kind of warms you up from inside out. It’s that kind of soup.
Made all in one pot with delicious fiber packed cannellini beans that are mashed to thicken the stock without completely loosing the texture.
Loaded with garlic, fresh herbs and fresh veggies. Pair it with crusty bread and you’re golden! All week long…seriously..this stuff gets better with age.
- 4 cans (15.5 oz each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. diced pancetta
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 head of celery, chopped (about 5–6 small stalks)
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped rosemary leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock (make your own)
- 3 cups water
- 1 Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese rind
- 1 bay leaf (dry)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and 1/2-inch diced
- 8 cloves garlic, pressed
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- fresh chopped parsley
- Roughly mash or puree half of the beans in a food processor (it does not have to be completely lump free). Add 2 teaspoons of water to the processor if the beans are too dry.
- Add olive oil to a large stockpot and cook pancetta over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add chopped onion, celery, carrot, and rosemary leaves; let the veggies sweat for about 3 minutes. Add chicken stock plus water and bring to a simmer; add cheese rind and bay leaf; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add beans (mashed and non-mashed) and potatoes. Season soup with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add pressed garlic.
- Remove the soup from the stove and disgard bay leaf and cheese rind. Add chopped parsley and enjoy!
Keywords: soup, beans, chunky, hearty