Sweet and spicy pineapple fried rice with ground chicken, sweet pineapple, green onions, and cilantro. It’s such a quick and easy weeknight meal!
Pineapple Fried Rice
You will love this pineapple fried rice recipe. It’s slightly spicy, sweet, and makes an easy weeknight meal. It was inspired by our Pineapple Rice side dish.
The rice is flavored with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and chili garlic sauce. Ground chicken and scrambled eggs add protein, and pineapple some subtle sweetness.
It comes together pretty quickly so make sure to have all of the ingredients prepared in advance.
Best Type of Rice for Fried Rice
Chilled day-old rice is ideal for fried rice as it’s less sticky and dried out. Freshly cooked rice will not fry well when it hits the hot pan and will result in soggy and sticky clumps.
I always have jasmine or basmati rice in my pantry so that is usually my go-to for making fried rice but you can use almost any type of rice — white or brown.
What is Pineapple Fried Rice Made Of?
To make chicken and pineapple fried rice, you will need:
- ground chicken
- yellow onion
- canned pineapple
- soy sauce
- chili garlic sauce
- green onions
Also, for serving, lime wedges and sesame oil.
How to Make Pineapple Fried Rice
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick skillet. Pour in the eggs and cook until the eggs are scrambled. Transfer to a plate. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel.
Add few more tablespoons of oil to the pan and when hot, add the ground chicken. Cook until the chicken is crumbled and no longer pink. Add onions and carrot, and cook until soft. Add garlic and ginger, and cook until fragrant.
Stir in rice and cook, stirring frequently, until heated through. Add pineapple, soy sauce, and chili garlic sauce. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Gently stir in scrambled eggs, green onions, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and a drizzle of sesame oil.
Tips for Making Fried Rice
- This fried rice recipe comes together quickly so prepare all of the ingredients in advance.
- Feel free to use fresh diced pineapple instead of canned.
- Omit the ground chicken and serve this fried rice recipe as a side dish alongside Sesame Chicken Wings.
- For best results, do not use freshly cooked rice. Instead, use previously cooked and chilled day-old rice.
What Goes Well with Fried Rice?
- Spicy Garlic Edamame
- Crunchy Asian Chopped Salad
- Asian Green Bean Recipe
- Chopped Kale Salad with Peanut-Chili Vinaigrette
Sweet and spicy pineapple fried rice with ground chicken, pineapples, green onions, and cilantro. It’s such a quick and easy weeknight meal!
- 3–4 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 3 large eggs, whisked with salt and pepper
- 8 oz. ground chicken
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated ginger or 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 4 cups chilled day-old cooked rice
- 1 (8 oz.) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 bunch green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Sesame oil
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil over medium heat. Pour the egg mixture and cook, stirring, until the eggs are scrambled and lightly set. Transfer to a plate and wipe the skillet if necessary with a paper towel.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of oil and when hot, add the ground chicken. Cook until crumbled and no longer pink.
- Add onions and carrots. Cook until soft, stirring frequently, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in rice and cook until heated through while breaking up the rice with a wooden spoon.
- Add pineapple, soy sauce, and chili garlic sauce. Stir for about 30 seconds to warm through. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Stir in scrambled eggs, green onions, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and drizzle sesame oil.
- Rice: For best results, do not use freshly cooked rice as it can get soggy and mushy. Use leftover rice or cook the rice the night before, cool, and then refrigerate overnight. Just about any type of rice works in this recipe.
- Chicken: You can omit the ground chicken and simply make this into a side dish recipe. See post for serving suggestions.
- Pineapple: Feel free to use 1 cup of freshly diced pineapple.
Keywords: hawaiian fried rice, tropical fried rice, easy rice dish