Cozy up to this Tuscan white bean and kale soup with bacon, cannellini beans, fresh rosemary, and lacinato kale. It’s hearty, thick, and crazy flavorful.
- 3 (15 oz.) cans cannellini beans, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 medium carrot, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 2 ribs celery, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh minced rosemary
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and 1/2-inch diced, about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 cups chopped lacinato kale or curly kale, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving, optional
- Drain and rinse one can of cannellini beans. Add to a blender or food processor with 1 cup of chicken broth. Blend until smooth. Drain and rinse the other two cans of beans and set them aside.
- Heat oil in a large dutch-oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until bacon renders fat and crisps up.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until softened, about 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic and rosemary. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, while stirring constantly.
- Add blended beans, drained beans, potatoes, and the remaining chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer over medium or medium-low heat, for 20-25 minutes, uncovered, or until vegetables are tender and broth slightly reduced.
- Stir in kale and simmer for a few minutes or until wilted. Taste the soup and add more salt if needed. Stir in chopped parsley. Serve soup with grated Parmesan cheese. It’s also really good with crusty bread for dipping.
- Leftovers: Store leftover soup in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Beans: Great Northern beans are a great substitute for cannellini beans.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 445
- Sugar: 3.8 g
- Sodium: 1638.1 mg
- Fat: 9.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 68.7 g
- Protein: 23.9 g
- Cholesterol: 13.2 mg
Keywords: bean soup, fall,