The most festive tomato mozzarella salad with balsamic reduction. Make this as an appetizer or side and you’ll be the talk of the party!
- 4–5 hothouse (beefsteak) tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 (16 oz.) logs of fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Generous bunch of fresh basil leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Balsamic glaze (or make your own – see below)
- In a casserole type dish (I used 8X11X3) arrange slices of tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil vertically, in an alternating patten until you have created two rows. You may have more rows depending on the size of the dish.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of the salad, followed by a drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
- I like to use tomatoes that are slightly on the firm side. I find that they slice and hold up a little better.
- To make homemade balsamic reduction: add 2 cups balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan, bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook 20-30 minutes, partially covered, until balsamic vinegar has reduced to a thicker glaze. Keep an eye on it as it burns easily. Cool and store covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Keywords: summer, vegetables, creamy, grilling, easy