Bright and flavorful cilantro rice with jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, and green onions. It is the perfect side to pair with your favorite summer main dishes.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups white jasmine or basmati rice
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tsp. lime zest, from about 1 lime
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add jalapeno and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add rice and stir to coat with olive oil. Cook, stirring frequently until the rice is toasted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and salt. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all of the broth is absorbed.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the rice steam for 5 minutes, covered. Fluff with a fork.
- Stir in cilantro, green onions, and lime zest. Taste for salt before serving.
- Leftovers: Store leftover rice in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Keywords: cilantro rice, summer side dish, cilantro lime rice