Cheesy guacamole is traditional guacamole but with cheddar cheese and a little spice! So delicious with tortilla chips or as a topping to Easy Shrimp Tacos.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cheesy guacamole on a Monday! How does that sound? As you guys know, I can pretty much do guacamole every single day. Specifically, anything with avocado and I’m there.
This, however, is your traditional guacamole but with whole lotta flavor! It’s so addictively good and you’ll want it on repeat all summer long.
I picked up a new cookbook recently: Cravings by Chrissy Teigen and OMG! The pictures completely sold me. So beautiful and literally makes you want to eat off the pages.
So far, we’ve tried Chicken Lettuce Wraps and this Cheesy Guacamole. I also can’t wait to try Pull-Apart Buttermilk Biscuits with Sausage Gravy and pretty much every other recipe in the cookbook.
This Cheesy Guacamole is becoming a weekly thing for us and a family favorite. So I knew I just had to share it with you guys.
It’s traditional guacamole but with shredded cheddar cheese! I mean it’s genius.
You basically chop everything up, mix, and let it sit at room temperature for good 30 minutes to let the flavors meld a little. I shredded my own cheese and let me tell ya, I need to start doing that more.
Because freshly shredded cheese tastes fresh, rich, and SO much creamier. Not to mention there are no added additives. What I’m pretty much trying to say is just do it. You won’t regret it.
Also, I learned a new trick! To prevent the guacamole from turning brown, press the plastic wrap into the surface of the guacamole to limit exposure to air. It will keep your guac nicely green. How awesome is that?!
This cheesy guacamole is obviously good as is with tortilla chips but how about topping chicken or adding it into a chicken slider? I mean I don’t think it gets better than this, especially for a Monday.
Cheesy guacamole is traditional guacamole but with cheddar cheese and a little spice! So delicious with tortilla chips or as a side to your favorite grilled dishes.
- 3 large avocados
- 3–4 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, about 2 limes
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion, about 1/2 medium onion
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeds/pulp removed + finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded + minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- sea salt, to taste
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise, discard the pit and scoop the avocado flesh into a medium bowl. Add half of the lime juice, cayenne, and cumin. Mash the avocado mixture with a potato masher until chunky consistency.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese, onion, tomatoes, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, and the remaining lime juice. Season with salt, to taste.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, pressing into the surface of the guacamole so there is no air between the guacamole and plastic. This prevents it from turning brown. Let guacamole sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Keywords: chips, cinco de mayo, summer