Crispy, crunchy, creamy and full of fresh fall flavor! This avocado and apple brussels sprout salad is a perfect holiday side dish. Comes together so quick and easy!
Let the Thanksgiving prep begin! It’s finally November and that means I can bust out all the Thanksgiving recipes. I mean it is the most delicious holiday after all and it totally deserves a whole month of dedication. So, I’m kicking things off with a simple yet absolutely scrumptious brussels sprout salad because if you ask me, it would not be Thanksgiving without some type of sprouts recipe.
This salad is absolutely different from the roasted sprouts that I so love but in a good type of way of course. It’s crispy, crunchy, and full of fresh fall flavors. The combo of apples with creamy avocado and crunchy pumpkin seeds is so heavenly good!
First off, the salad is absolutely raw. Meaning the sprouts are thinly shredded and tossed with apples, avocado, pumpkin seeds, and parmesan cheese in a tangy citrusy dressing. Key to amazing flavor is to get the dressing into the sprouts really well and I found your hands are your best bet. Toss everything together in a bowl, except the avocado, and using your hands, mix/massage the salad really well and then gently add the avocado.
I used a mandoline slicer to shred the sprouts but if you don’t have one, you can slice the sprouts with a knife. Just watch your fingers! You can also purchase pre-shredded sprouts to save time. The salad is not overly sweet but you definitely taste light sweetness from the apples so if you’re someone who prefers more savory type salads, add more Parmesan cheese to balance out the sweetness. I used about 1/3 cup of Parmesan but you can add as much as 1/2 cup.
Then all you have to do is decide whether you should make it now or wait until Thanksgiving. I vote now! 🙂
Make it. Snap it. Show it. Instagram @littlebrokenblog or snapchat → littlebrokenblg
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. shallot, minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, shredded using mandoline or thinly sliced with knife
- 1 apple, cored and cut into matchsticks (Ambrosia, Braeburn, or Fuji)
- ½ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ - ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss the brussels sprouts, apples, pumpkin seeds, and Parmesan with dressing together. Use your hands to get the dressing into the sprouts really well. Then gently toss in the avocado. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or within couple hours of tossing.
© Little Broken. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission or claim my work as your own. Feel free to Pin, Tweet, Facebook and share away with a link back to the recipe post. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this recipe.
Disclaimer: link to the mandoline slicer is an affiliated link, which means I earn a small commission from the purchase at no cost to you.