Hi friends! Happy Sunday. Hope you guys are enjoying your weekend. Yesterday we spent the afternoon downtown, eating ice cream (a lot of ice cream!) and playing tourists in our own little town. Today we are off to a birthday party for my besties son’s birthday. It’s going to be another day full of family, friends, and a whole lotta food. So a meatless Monday is in order for tomorrow (at least for me).
These quinoa lettuce boats is everything in a meatless meal you want. Fresh, healthy, colorful, crunchy, and flavorful! The filling is a mediterranean quinoa salad that is packed with fragrant parsley, cumin, fresh mint, green onions, crispy veggies, and salty feta. All mixed in a simple olive oil + lemon combo. Similar in taste to tabbouleh salad but with so much more flavor! I made this salad last weekend for our 4th of July party and knew I wanted to share it with you guys but in a more of a meal form than just a salad.
You serve the salad inside the lettuce leaves. Baby romaine or Boston lettuce will do the trick. The crispness of lettuce combined with zesty salad is just perfection and it is super, super fresh. No lie. I love the lightness and freshness of this salad. It’s perfect as a meatless meal on a hot summer day or if you’re not feeling meatless, transform these into chicken, shrimp, or tuna (canned) lettuce boats. Just by adding your favorite protein into the salad. You will just have to tweak the seasoning a bit.
The best part, you can make a batch of this salad and let it sit in the fridge for couple days (if it lasts that long). The flavor just intensifies and everything comes out super juicy and tasty.
- 2⅓ cups cooked rainbow quinoa (or white quinoa), completely chilled*
- ¾ cup diced cucumber
- ¾ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh mint
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- juice 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt and pepper
- baby romaine leaves (or Boston lettuce)
- In a medium bowl, combine the quinoa, cucumber, tomatoes, parsley, onions, mint, cumin, garlic salt, lemon juice and olive oil. Fold in the crumbled feta. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preferably chill the salad for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- When ready to serve, spoon the salad into baby romaine leaves and serve immediately.
© Little Broken. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission or claim my work as your own. Feel free to Pin, Tweet, Facebook and share away with a link back to the recipe post. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this recipe.