Avocado pizza with Avocado Sauce?! Yes! Yes! And more Yes! Can you tell I’m screaming with joy?
I love, love avocados and find every way I can to incorporate more of them into my dishes. Have you tried the avocado eggrolls with the most amazing dipping sauce at Cheesecake Factory? Avocado, sun-dried tomatoes, and cilantro stuffed in a crispy won ton wrapper, served with tamarind-cashew dipping sauce. They are to die for! That’s where the inspiration for my pizza came from as I wanted to incorporate similar flavors of the eggrolls but also use a lighter approach with this dish.
Skinny and by skinny I mean puff pasty thin crust, baked with pizza pesto, which is a burst of gazillion flavors such as garlic, cashews, cilantro, cumin, turmeric just to name a few. Sweet, zesty, savory, and a little gooey. You name it. Topped with avocado, red tomatoes, and red onion.
Oh and don’t get me started on the Avocado Sauce! Blend of garlic, cilantro and avocado drizzled over the pizza. It also makes a great dipping sauce for about anything!
If you haven’t tried the avocado eggrolls at CF you need to run and do it as fast as you possibly can. I promise you wont be disappointed and on your way there don’t forget to pick up ingredients for this Avocado Pizza 🙂
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (I used Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets from 17.3 oz/1.1 lbs. pkg. which has two sheets but I only used one), thawed out overnight in refrigerator
- 1½ firm-ripe avocados, cubed ½ inch
- 2 med. tomatoes, seeded, cored and diced ½ inch
- ½ med. red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⅓ cups shredded Italian Five Cheese blend
- 3 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. honey
- ⅛ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ cup chopped cashews
- ⅔ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 green onions, roughly chopped
- ½ Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 green onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until throughly mixed.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until throughly mixed. You may need to stop the food processor and scrape the sides to blend all ingredients well.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Roll out puff pastry on a floured surface ¼" thick (it does not have to be perfectly round). Pierce the puff pasty with a fork to prevent bubbling and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Spread the pizza pesto evenly over the puff pasty and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden crisp around the edges.
- Remove the puff pasty from the oven and place the prepared tomatoes, red onions, and avocado on top.
- Drizzle with Avocado Sauce as much or as little as you like and enjoy!