Fig and Caramelized Onion Flatbread
Fig and caramelized onion flatbread is a summer must! Sweet fresh figs combined with caramelized onions are one of the most delicious combos.
Want to make a fancy restaurant-inspired appetizer at home? Make this fig and caramelized onion flatbread. It’s the perfect blend of savory and sweet and makes a great appetizer for date night in or a light Sunday brunch.
Loaded with delicious caramelized onions and sweet figs. The onions are cooked nice and slow until they are golden and sweetly caramelized. Peppery arugula adds brightness and feta the perfect touch of saltiness.
Enjoy this flatbread warm when fresh figs are in season — during late summer/early fall season.
Ingredients You Will Need
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this flatbread recipe:
- sweet onions
- store-bought flatbread
- feta cheese
- fresh figs
Also from the pantry, olive oil, and kosher salt.
How to Make Fig and Caramelized Onion Flatbread
Cook the onions: Use a heavy-bottom pan, such as cast-iron or stainless steel. You’ll need a pan that is 12 to 14-inches. Melt butter in the pan, add onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown. This can take close to an hour.
Prepare the flatbread: Divide the caramelized onions evenly between the two flatbread. Top each flatbread with feta cheese and bake for about 10 minutes in a preheated 425 degrees F oven.
Assemble the flatbread: Toss arugula with little olive oil and salt, and top each flatbread with equal amounts of arugula. Next, add sliced figs, and if desired, top with additional feta cheese.
What to Serve with Fig Flatbread?
Serve this flatbread pizza with other small appetizer dishes, a crunchy salad, or a green side dish. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Greek Yogurt Onion Dip
- Feta Cheese Dip
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
- Roasted Broccoli with Bacon
- Roasted Garlic Green Beans
Tips & Notes
- Use any type of flatbread you like, either homemade or store-bought. Naan bread is a great option as it’s easy to find and is very tasty.
- Don’t like feta cheese? Try goat cheese or gorgonzola cheese.
- Caramelized onions can be prepared a few days in advance. Keep covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- To enhance the sweetness of the figs, add a light drizzle of honey over the flatbread right before serving.
Fig and caramelized onion flatbread is a summer must! Fresh figs combined with caramelized onions is one of the most delicious combos.
- 3 medium sweet onions, cut in half and sliced from root to stem into thin slices
- 4 Tbsp. butter, salted or unsalted
- 2 store-bought flatbreads, such as naan bread (about 8-inches)
- 2 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese, plus more for the top
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh arugula
- 3–4 large fresh figs, sliced
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Melt butter over medium-low heat in a large heavy-bottom skillet, such as cast-iron or stainless steel. A 12-inch or a 14-inch skillet works the best.
- Add onions to the pan and stir to coat with butter. Cook the onions, stirring every 5-10 minutes. If the onions begin to burn, lower the heat. Around 10 minutes the onions will start to soften and turn translucent. Around 30 minutes the onions will begin to turn light brown in color. Around 50-60 minutes the onions will be dark golden and smell very caramelized. In the last 15 minutes of cooking, season the onions with salt to taste. Remove the onions from the heat and set them aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide the caramelized onions evenly between two flatbreads and sprinkle each flatbread with 1 tablespoon of feta cheese. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden crisp. Remove and cool slightly.
- Toss the arugula with little olive oil and salt to taste. Top each flatbread with equal amounts of arugula, sliced figs, and more feta cheese. Slice and enjoy!
- Onions: Few things to keep in mind when cooking the onions. If you use a small pan the onions will take longer to cook. Do not salt the onions too early in the process, otherwise, they will release moisture and take longer to cook. Caramelized onions can be prepared 1-2 days in advance and kept refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Serving: Right before serving, I also like to add a light drizzle of honey over the flatbread. It’s optional but it really brings out the sweetness of the figs.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 11.1 g
- Sodium: 171.9 mg
- Fat: 10.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.2 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 18 mg
Keywords: pizza, easy, fresh, summer
Recipe published 7/24/2015. Updated 8/6/2021.