Healthy avocado tuna salad that is completely mayo-free! It’s made with avocado and lime juice. So creamy, fresh, and healthy.
Enjoy it as a light lunch, snack, or make Tuna Avocado Melts.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Avocado Tuna Salad
Creamy avocado tuna salad with avocado, pickles, cilantro, and lime juice. This mayo-free tuna salad is incredibly delicious and healthy.
Avocado adds the creamy component to the salad, while the lime juice the right amount of zestiness. So there is no need for any mayonnaise!
It lasts in the fridge for up to 3 days so you always have a quick lunch or healthy snack to enjoy.
What Kind of Tuna is Best for Tuna Salad?
Albacore tuna is our favorite type of tuna for a tuna salad. It has a firm texture and a mild taste.
Light tuna is another great option. It typically includes skipjack, but may also include yellowfin. It’s softer in texture, flakier, and has a stronger flavor.
Whether you buy tuna canned in water or oil is up to personal taste. Tuna in oil adds a nice flavor to the salad while tuna in water has a milder flavor.
Some of our favorite tuna brands include:
Ingredients for Avocado Tuna Salad Recipe
You will need the following ingredients for this healthy tuna salad:
- Canned tuna
- Dill pickles
- Red onion
- Ground cumin
- Lime juice and zest
- Olive oil
How to Make Avocado Tuna Salad
Start off with mashing the tuna with avocado to create a creamy base.
Stir in the rest of the ingredients and mix well to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Healthy Ways to Eat Tuna
- With whole-grain crackers
- Inside a lettuce cup
- Fresh cucumber slices
- Plantain chips
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Stuffed into a tomato
How Long Does Avocado Tuna Salad Last?
This healthy tuna salad will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It might slightly darken because of avocado but it will still taste great. Keep stored in an airtight container.
Love tuna? Try these other tuna recipes:Print
Healthy avocado tuna salad that is completely mayo-free! It’s made with creamy avocado and lime juice. So fresh and healthy.
- 2 (5-6oz) cans of albacore tuna in water or oil, drained and flaked
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice + zest 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the flaked tuna with avocado. Mash with a fork, breaking up any large chunks. Keep it creamy or leave some chunks for texture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Leftovers: Leftover tuna salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container. Avocado might slightly darken.
Keywords: mayo free, healthy, snack